Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Dyna's
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dyna's Spring loaded, rubber mounted. Whether it's a Super Glide to a Wide Glide, find all things Dyna here.

------------ ------------
Old 04-30-2007
2007FXDC

Rear Fender Wiring

Putting this in the Dyna Spot just because most of them have the same rear fender (except FXDWG) and potentially the same issue.

A few months ago I installed HD permanent sissy bar mounts which required the removal and replacement of the fender strut bolts on both sides of the fender. I noticed, at that time, a wire bundle coming out of (or into depending on how you look at it) the tail light and leading to the left rear turn signal. I noticed there was a clip inside the fender to hold that wire away from anything, such as the rear tire. I made sure I put that wire securely in that clip when I got done with the install. Recently, while washing the bike, I noticed the wire hanging below the edge of the fender and had to put it back in the clip. I made sure, at that time, to make sure the clip was as snug as I could get it to make sure the wire didn't slip out again. Well, the other night it did. On my ride back from OBX bike week, I noticed my signal indicator flashing rapidly and looked back to see that my left, rear signal was out. I assumed it was the bulb. The next day, I realized that the wire had come out of the clip again and rubbed against the rear tire long enough to get eaten in half and about an inch or so of wire chewed away as well. I had a time splicing it back together an wrapping it well with tape.

Now I'm trying to think of a way to prevent that clip from losing the wire again without permanently closing the end of it. I have tape on it now but that's likely not to hold after the first rain or puddle I hit.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Old 04-30-2007
Dirty Bill

Re: Rear Fender Wiring

GOOP.... I use it a lot.
Old 05-02-2007
FUJIMO99

Re: Rear Fender Wiring

Mine did the same thing right after I got my bike.I bought It used and the guy who owned it flush mounted the tail light and the wires were not clipped up well. Rubbed the wires in half and left me in the dark at night on back roads 10 miles from home. I ended up soldering the wires together and using heat shrink and wire ties to seal them well and hold them in place. After a scary 10 mile ride