Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Engine Stuff
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Stuff Questions about all things engine related? Here's a place for all you gearheads to sit and discuss your favorite V-twin engine, what you liked or disliked, and improvements you've made.

------------ ------------
Old 04-17-2007
bullelkklr Offline
Is developing high concentrations of Iron in his/her Buttocks

My Mood:
bullelkklr is on a distinguished road
How to time an EVO ?

Okay - I posted this over at vtwinforum and have got no response...thought maybe someone here could help me out - or maybe we can just have some good conversation on the topic.

I really want to get my timing correct so that I can tweak on the fuel a bit.

I recently built a 97 heritage out of a bunch of old parts. She is running pretty strong and I have now set the timing "close" to what a buddy is running his stock 97 heritage at. At near his stock setting, which his bike seems to run the best at, mine is running strong with the least amount of snapping on throttle let off that I can find.

My question is twofold, 1) what should my timing be set at, and 2) how do I set it?

The bike = 1986 case, 96 inch S&S jugs and flatop S&S forged pistions, I don't know the CR. The cams look big compared to stock, and though I couldn't get #'s off of them, I think that they are S&S 561 (or maybe 651's?). The heads are stock harley. The ignition is stock harley.

The bike runs okay throughout most of the adjustable timing range - when turned 75% counter - clockwise it backfires a little and snaps/burbles/backfires upon release of throttle. With the timing 100% clockwise it seems fine and has the most seat of the pants power. I currently have it set up at about 95% clockwise.

I have access to a timing light and know how to use it on vehicles, but not on this bike (the timing light is not an adjustable advance type)...and I don't know where to start at with the timing - 30-33 degrees????

I don't hear any pinging or pre-detonation, but my hearing ain't the best and that thing makes quite a bit of racket up top anyway.

Any help on where to set or what I may be hurting by "playing" with the timing would be appreciated.

randy
________
EXTREME Q REVIEW BAD

Last edited by bullelkklr : 08-22-2011 at 11:32.
Arcade
Challenge bullelkklr in the Arcade!

Old 04-24-2007
charlyndeb

Smile Re: How to time an EVO ?

U may want to look at S&S cycle website, they have detailed intructions on timing, carb setting and FI units. My bike has a S&S 103 and went by their intructions and the bike screams. No Harley Charley's 1st Harley
Old 04-24-2007
bullelkklr Offline

My Mood:
Re: How to time an EVO ?

I will do that - thanx charlie..

what ignition do you have in your 103? For now I am running a stock evo ignition as I got two smoked single fires out of the box...the S&S ignition looks sweet and requires a couple sensor adds to make it function correctly...

anyone out there with S&S ignition comments?
________
EXTREME Q 4

Arcade
Old 04-24-2007
bullelkklr Offline

My Mood:

Here is what S&S says and basically I can just check the timing with a light and set it at 32-34 degrees.

What should I set my ignition timing at?
S & S recommends using electronic ignition with adjustable advance curve in Super Stock and Super Sidewinder Long Blocks. Adjustable curve permits slowing rate of advance to control or eliminate pinging under heavy load or when elevated temperatures or poor quality gasoline are encountered. Install ignition according to manufacturer's instructions. Leave spark plugs out while static timing to ease flywheel rotation.

Flywheels in S & S Big Twin-Style Long Blocks have three timing marks:

( F ) = Front cylinder firing mark, 35? degrees before TDC with vertical line in center of hole.

See caution below.

( R ) = Rear cylinder firing mark, 35? before TDC with dot in center of hole.

( T:F) = Front piston, Top Dead Center with colon ( in center of hole.

Most fully electronic ignitions are timed at TDC. Points and other ignitions with mechanical advance are timed at front cylinder firing mark. With correct mark centered in timing inspection hole, ignition at full advance will occur 35? before TDC. S & S, however, recommends setting initial timing at 32? BTDC. This can be accomplished by setting the ignition to fire when flywheel mark is leaving timing inspection hole on left side.

CAUTION - Operating V2-Style Long Block with mark centered in hole at 35? can cause detonation and damage to engine not covered under warranty.

Additional minor adjustment of timing may be required due to poor quality gasoline or extremely hot climate, among other factors, but ignition should occur between 28? and 32? BTDC when fully advanced, and engine closely monitored for heat build-up. In general, excessive ignition advance will cause engine to kick back against the starter during start-up and "buck" when ridden at steady speed with partial throttle. An advanced condition can also cause pinging or ignition knock and possible piston damage. These symptoms may not be noticed if electronic ignition with "soft" advance curve is used. Excessive ignition retard causes sluggish performance and severe overheating with possible subsequent damage to the engine, and must also be avoided. Immediate or rapid exhaust pipe discoloration is usually a sign of retarded ignition timing.

CAUTION - Pinging or ignition knock is an early sign of detonation and possible impending engine damage. Should pinging occur, the throttle must be backed off and the cause determined and corrected. Excessive retard is less obvious but equally destructive. For that reason, final timing should be confirmed with a timing light or other accepted procedure.
________
buy condo Pattaya

Arcade
Old 04-24-2007
charlyndeb

Smile Re: How to time an EVO ?

I'm running a Crane single fire Hi-4 Ignition, I definately recomend it, it runs strong!
Old 04-25-2007
bullelkklr Offline

My Mood:

I bought a Hi-4 and it worked great for about 10 minutes then went ape **** on me...I replaced it with an Ultima single fire module and it was f'd up out of the box. Got a used evo module and pickup for 30$ and am running that now.

This winter I will try to run a Hi-4E with the electronics under the seat.

I will carry a spare in the tool pouch for sure when I go back to after market.
________
Vape

Arcade