Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Fuel Injection
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fuel Injection Have questions about how to tune your fuel injected motorcycle? Here is the place to discuss all thats E.F.I.

------------ ------------
Old 01-02-2007
vegastype Offline
Thinks Formal Black Attire Means Chaps and a Vest
Supreme Member

My Mood:
vegastype will become famous soon enough
PCIII, Fuel Pack or SERT?

I plan on purchasing V&H Big Shot Staggered pipes for my 07 Fatboy. I have the HV air cleaner purchased and need to get a control module. The tech at one of my local HD dealerships is saying that I should go with the PCIII because it has the most flexibility and if I ever change anything going forward this would be best. He stated that FP would be second choice but only maps for V&H pipes are available and If i change pipes down the road (for what ever reason) this would be useless. lastly he said get the SERT. But recomended staying away since it is not as easy to set up...... Thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Arcade
Challenge vegastype in the Arcade!

Old 01-02-2007
06NightTrain44

Re: PCIII, Fuel Pack or SERT?

I'm assuming that by FP you mean Fuel Pak. I agree with the PCIII 100%. However...if he's saying the FP would be better for you than a SERT...he's out of his mind. The PCIII and SERT will give you somewhat similar capabilities. Both the PCIII and SERT will let you fine tune, adjust cylinder trim, adjust timing, adjust RPM limit, etc...difference there is the PCIII piggybacks while the SERT reprograms the ECM. The Fuel Pak will only let you punch in the values supplied by V&H, and they don't tell you what each value means. Not to mention it doesn't adjust the timing at all. It just adds fuel. Fuel Pak is a different animal...and not a very useful one.

I can say this--because I'm stuck with one

You'll also hear some camps here touting the Thundermax ECM w/ Autotune. Never seen/used one, but more and more I read about people who are extermely satisfied w/ them.
Old 01-02-2007
vegastype Offline
Supreme Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06NightTrain44 View Post
I'm assuming that by FP you mean Fuel Pak. I agree with the PCIII 100%. However...if he's saying the FP would be better for you than a SERT...he's out of his mind. The PCIII and SERT will give you somewhat similar capabilities. The Fuel Pak will only let you punch in the values supplied by V&H, and they don't tell you what each value means. Not to mention it doesn't adjust the timing at all. It just adds fuel. Fuel Pak is a different animal...and not a very useful one.

I can say this--because I'm stuck with one
Yes I mean Fuel Pack..... Thanks for the input too. The reason I believe he is saying go with SERT last is that I would have to have the bike dyno'd agian or hunt around for a custom map. Where as the PCIII he says is much easier to find a map for. (his words not mine)
Arcade
Old 01-02-2007
06NightTrain44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegastype View Post
Yes I mean Fuel Pack..... Thanks for the input too. The reason I believe he is saying go with SERT last is that I would have to have the bike dyno'd agian or hunt around for a custom map. Where as the PCIII he says is much easier to find a map for. (his words not mine)
PCIII is definitely much easier to find a map for. And if you make changes your odds of finding a good base map are probably much better. Depending on your setup there are some available SERT maps. Also--if you look around (e.g. some message boards) you'll come across people who are willing to share their maps (though be aware that for others it's a touchy subject )

What mods are you planning on making to the 07'? If it's just AC and exhaust you shouldn't have a problem finding a map for either of them (I think the SERT comes with a CD that contains various maps, but don't quote me).
Old 01-02-2007
Hackenbush

Quote:
PCIII is definitely much easier to find a map for. And if you make changes your odds of finding a good base map are probably much better. Depending on your setup there are some available SERT maps. Also--if you look around (e.g. some message boards) you'll come across people who are willing to share their maps (though be aware that for others it's a touchy subject )

What mods are you planning on making to the 07'? If it's just AC and exhaust you shouldn't have a problem finding a map for either of them (I think the SERT comes with a CD that contains various maps, but don't quote me).
The new SERT comes with a CD, The new CD has a map for just about everything out there. I just found a map on the new CD for SE Air filter with Reinhart 2 into 1 or even the reinhart dyna slipons, which reinhart dosent even advertise. Every comb of vance & hines and so on. My service Manager said They will be more understanding if I have any warrenty Issues over the PCIII which they sell both And I had already bought mine elsewhere, So I dont think he was trying to sell me either. Harley Davidson will send you a updated CD if you request for the price of shipping as they come up with new maps for diffrent Comb. Hope this helped but all dealers are diffrent and I've been using the same one since 1970. Skip
Old 01-02-2007
vegastype Offline
Supreme Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackenbush View Post
The new SERT comes with a CD, The new CD has a map for just about everything out there. I just found a map on the new CD for SE Air filter with Reinhart 2 into 1 or even the reinhart dyna slipons, which reinhart dosent even advertise. Every comb of vance & hines and so on. My service Manager said They will be more understanding if I have any warrenty Issues over the PCIII which they sell both And I had already bought mine elsewhere, So I dont think he was trying to sell me either. Harley Davidson will send you a updated CD if you request for the price of shipping as they come up with new maps for diffrent Comb. Hope this helped but all dealers are diffrent and I've been using the same one since 1970. Skip
Thanks........ he never mentioned the CD to me.
Arcade
Old 01-02-2007
vegastype Offline
Supreme Member

My Mood:

Quote:

At first it is just AC and exhaust..... down the road may go with a big bore kit. Thanks for all of the info........
Arcade
Old 01-02-2007
Deuce Bigelow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegastype View Post
At first it is just AC and exhaust..... down the road may go with a big bore kit. Thanks for all of the info........

if you're planning on engine mods in the future then go with the SERT.
Old 01-02-2007
vegastype Offline
Supreme Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigelow View Post
if you're planning on engine mods in the future then go with the SERT.
May I ask why? Just trying to gather as much info as possible.... also the paint on your bike is F@&@#*%G Kewl!!!!
Arcade
Old 01-02-2007
Deuce Bigelow

Thanks!

because the PC III doesn't have the all of the tuning capability of the SERT.