Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tips & Tricks Have a trick or tip you want to share? This is the place to give out usefull advice.

------------ ------------
Old 12-22-2006
Thug1976

Cigarette Lighter on bike......

Hey. I know on some bikes people have cigarette lighters. I saw a guy with a "Street Glide" that had on and it gave me an idea... Is there anyway to wire in a lighter for a bike that DOES NOT have one? Not that I HAVE TO HAVE one but I thought what the hell. If I'm at a gas station or something and wanna light up, cool. That or plug my Sirius radio into it and jam out with some headphones or something when I'm on a long trip. I just feel like there is a lot of possibilites if I had one. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2006
Dirty Bill

Re: Cigarette Lighter on bike......

Well,do you have a place to mount one? Just put one in.
Old 12-22-2006
Thug1976

How do you just "put one in"? I can make a mount or fabricate something, but I'm not exactly the "wiring genius"... Thanks.
Old 12-23-2006
Daman Offline
Veni, Vidi, Vici/Super Mod
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Daman is a jewel in the roughDaman is a jewel in the roughDaman is a jewel in the roughDaman is a jewel in the rough

hey Thug don't light up at gas stations! it could be a problem.
the lighter will have instructions.

I wish I was rich instead of good looking

Arcade
Challenge Daman in the Arcade!
Old 12-23-2006
Thug1976

I hear ya on that one. Thanks. Ba-boom!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2006
BlackShovelPaul

I would use 12 or 14 gauge wire with an in-line fuse. Compare the amps you might draw (30 amps for a lighter is more than enough) to the wire and fuse capacities.
Old 12-27-2006
tbrimer1

You might want to look here.
http://www.powerletproducts.com/index.php?mid=0
They have a line of accessory power products.
Old 01-24-2007
NJDevilDeuce

OK cheap fix, Buy the lighter at Wal-Mart or your local store and get some wire. I put mine on with an adjustable clamp on the underside of my passenger peg. Ran the wire up the swing arm. Couple small zip ties and you can't see a thing if you still have a black swing arm. Ran them under the seat and hot wired them into the battery. Never had power problems and it worked like a charm, just make sure that you have the connection at each end secured real good for obvious reasons. Very convenient to be able to light a smoke on the highway at 80 MPH. It all took me about 15 minutes right before a road trip
Old 04-07-2009
FATBOBcruzinPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilDeuce View Post
OK cheap fix, Buy the lighter at Wal-Mart or your local store and get some wire. I put mine on with an adjustable clamp on the underside of my passenger peg. Ran the wire up the swing arm. Couple small zip ties and you can't see a thing if you still have a black swing arm. Ran them under the seat and hot wired them into the battery. Never had power problems and it worked like a charm, just make sure that you have the connection at each end secured real good for obvious reasons. Very convenient to be able to light a smoke on the highway at 80 MPH. It all took me about 15 minutes right before a road trip
do you have pictures? thx
Old 04-07-2009
BoomerBob Offline
Ride Hard Ride Free
Supreme Member

BoomerBob will become famous soon enough

This thread is over 2 years old so you may not get a reply from the original people.

Seems to me it's just a simple matter of deciding where you want to mount it and how. Then either tie into a hot wire or positive side of the battery and ground the other wire or the lighter housing itself. I'd use an inline fuse to be on the safe side. I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions.