Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Touring Models
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Touring Models Got one of those Lazy boys on wheels? Road King Custom, Road Glide, Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide or Road King Classic motorcycles? Here's your forum!

------------ ------------
Old 12-20-2006
demersg73

Thumbs down Removing Lower Fairings on 07 Ultra Glide

Has anyone removed the lower fairings on the 07 ultra? They look like they are fairly easy to remove, but will this cause any problems with the airflow to the engine? or void the warranty? I'd like to take them off. Makes it look too much like a Yamaha.

I just purchased an 07 ultra on December 8th. I've owned lots of bikes, but this is my first Harley. I've got about 400 miles on it so far and really enjoy the ride. I have noticed the clanking at lower rpms in 5th and 6th gear, but was not sure if it was the trans or the engine. After finding this forum, sounds like it is the trans. Only happens in between coasting and throttling. The dealer told me they would do the re-mapping or whatever it is at the 1000 mile service.

Old 12-20-2006
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Hitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really nice
Cool Re: Removing Lower Fairings on 07 Ultra Glide

The fairing lowers are very easy to install, and remove.

Since this is your first Harley, get the service manual for your bike, and make it your bible.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY HEROES

NRA PATRON MEMBER

Arcade
Challenge Hitman in the Arcade!
Old 12-26-2006
EGlideKid

Re: Removing Lower Fairings on 07 Ultra Glide

Hey Demersg73,
Yes, the lowers will come off your '07 very easily and quickly. I just bought an '07 Ultra back in October, and have the shop manual. All you have to do is remove the snap covers to the storage compartments. Inside on the forward end you'll see 2 nuts which need to come off. Careful, because these hold the front (painted) "dome" on to the upper half of the lowers. Be sure you hold onto this dome as you remove the second nut. Then at the bottom of each lower is a torx head bolt that holds the bottom of the lowers to your crash bar. The nut on the other end of this bolt is a nylon locking nut, so you'll need to use the appropriate wrench on it.
That's it, just three fasteners on either side, and your lowers are off.
On reinstallation, take note that both the lower and upper mounting points are somewhat "variable". That is to say that you should loosely mount the upper two bolts, then loosely mount the lower bolt. Adjust both sides (both lowers) so they are of equal distance from the center mounting bolt on your crash bars (something the factory didn't take care to do on mine), then tighten your nuts/bolts down. Be careful not to over tighten these suckers, you don't want to break the bolt mounting points on the domes. If you need the torque values, I can probably find them in the manual.
Keep the rubber side down!
Old 12-26-2006
EGlideKid

Hello again,
You're right about the source of the noise. Check out some of the many threads concerning tranny noise. It's something that you'd better get used to, although I have 2600 miles on mine now, and the noise has diminished a little, plus I had the dealer put all synthetics in at the 1000 mile checkup.
Keep the radio going, and you'll never hear the noise!
Who knows, maybe Harley will do something about it in the future, but as far as I know, remapping won't change that noise you're hearing one bit. All that does is change your fuel/air ratios.
This is our first Harley also, but I wouldn't change a thing. My last bike was a full dress Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad, which handled like a hippo with handlebars compared to the Ultra. Two-up, the Kaw was a nightmare, especially approaching and leaving stoplights. I just can't stay off the Harley!
See ya!
Old 12-28-2006
harveydonaldson

I'm liking what i'm hearing, now, guys! I will get my new 07 Ultra about February and I've been reading all the stuff about tranny noise, etc. I traded in my 1998 anniversary Ultra and I reckon the new one will be quieter, as ALL five gears in the evo box were straight cut. New 2007 box has helical cuts on geara 1-4 and sixth, so fifth is the odd one-straight cut-so it cant be any louder than ANY of my old five speeds!
Old 12-28-2006
demersg73

Thanks all. I did remove the lower fairings and I like the looks better.....however........even though I live in Florida (Northwest), I found that they do provide quite a bit of protection in temp's below 40 degrees. I think I will re-install them this weekend; at least until warmer weather.

Also, I did talk to my local dealer tech today. He said the rattling is not from the chain or trany, but from the engine. He said that traveling at higher rpm's will eliminate the noise. Not sure I believe that though. I should be able to travel in 6th gear at 60 -65 mph. I'll get my 1000 service soon and switch to Syn3. I'll also get the re-map at that time. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2006
freedius88 Offline
Rock of the Marne
Supreme Member

My Mood:
freedius88 will become famous soon enough

Where in Florida is it under 50 degrees?
Arcade
Challenge freedius88 in the Arcade!
Old 09-28-2008
bill robarge

need help. It appears one of the three hex screws on my fairing is stripped on my harley ultra classic. I need to remove the fairing, what do I do next?
Old 09-28-2008
Ryno Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Ryno will become famous soon enoughRyno will become famous soon enough

Go to Sears and get yourself some bolt/screw extractors. They aren't expensive and work great.
Old 09-28-2008
bill robarge

unfortunately it's the inner achor. The screw is just spinning...