Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Engine Stuff
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Stuff Questions about all things engine related? Here's a place for all you gearheads to sit and discuss your favorite V-twin engine, what you liked or disliked, and improvements you've made.

------------ ------------
Old 12-15-2006
hdflhx07

FLHX 07 Engine Shuts Down/ UpDate

While riding in traffic around 20 mph and throttling back the engine shut down. Electrical was still on. I pulled over and shut off the switch. After about a minute I was able to start the engine. Later that day I was throttling back to turn a corner and the engine shut down again. I tried to restart it but it wouldn't start. After shutting off the switch and waiting a minute it started up again. Can't get it to the shop until next week. Anyone experience a similar problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-15-2006
ryzzzzz07nighttrain

Re: FLHX 07 Engine Shuts Down

mine was dying when I would let off the throttle,seemed to happen when hot. I believe it was because my bike is running lean,my check end light came on and scanned the code it was for a crank trigger code, I was going to wait until I put a pc3 on it and see if prob goes away.
Old 12-16-2006
hdflhx07

Thanks for the reply nighttrain. This is not the first time I've had the problem. My Dyna Wide Glide use to shut down a couple of years ago. It was a bad vacuum connection on the pet ****. Of course there's no pet **** on this one to worry about. I see you're from Tucson. My son is there also in the Air Force. Good luck with your pipes.
Old 12-16-2006
1badnightrain Offline
gone fishin'
Supreme Member

My Mood:
1badnightrain will become famous soon enough

I have an 06 nighttrain efi
I've had a similar problem, only mine doesn't turn off..it just looses compression for a second..

I had it checked at my 1000 service..and they found nothin.

Later, I talked to my friend, a HD service tech..
he told me the computer sensor is pickin up to much heat..so it shutting down the rear cylinder to blow out the exhaust.
I live in Florida and this was happening during summer...
anyway, all I took it was as advice..not the bible...
I figure this will stop when I change my exhaust and intake..I already bought a sert, but haven't installed it..
thats just my experiance.
Old 12-21-2006
hdflhx07

FLHX 07 Engine Shuts Down Update

In a earlier message I told you guys how my engine shut down a couple of times and restarted. A couple of days later it shut down and had to be towed to the shop. The Fuel Pressure Regulator had gone bad. Wanted to let y'all know in case you experienced the same problem. Thanks for the earlier feedback.