Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Performance Enhancements
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Performance Enhancements Questions on performance upgrades? Got a new performance upgrade you want to share? Maybe a nifty tip or trick to add?

------------ ------------
Old 07-29-2006
06NightTrain44

Head-Quarters Cams

On another board guys go on and on about the HeadQuarters cams. Are they really that good, do they really make that much of a difference?

Old 08-03-2006
06NightTrain44

Re: Head-Quarters Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06NightTrain44
On another board guys go on and on about the HeadQuarters cams. Are they really that good, do they really make that much of a difference?
Just trying one more time in case this one fell into the unnoticed range...anyone have any experience with HQ cams (or other parts) on a 95" build? Is there a big difference in performance vs. other cams? Guys on another board talk like they're the best thing since sliced bread...but all of my reliable info comes from this board, so I wanted to check here.
Old 08-03-2006
sculpin Offline
Only In America!
Supreme Member

sculpin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06NightTrain44
Just trying one more time in case this one fell into the unnoticed range...anyone have any experience with HQ cams (or other parts) on a 95" build? Is there a big difference in performance vs. other cams? Guys on another board talk like they're the best thing since sliced bread...but all of my reliable info comes from this board, so I wanted to check here.
Ditto that!

I am doing my 95" build this winter and would also like any info on the best parts. I don't just want to buy HD / SE parts for lack of knowledge about anything else.

Also, what makes gear drive cams better?

Sculpin
Arcade
Challenge sculpin in the Arcade!
Old 08-03-2006
06NightTrain44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculpin
Ditto that!

I am doing my 95" build this winter and would also like any info on the best parts. I don't just want to buy HD / SE parts for lack of knowledge about anything else.

Also, what makes gear drive cams better?

Sculpin
Hopefully someone chimes in soon. Supposedly (according to the HQ site) one of their cams and a good tune produced 90+ hp/tq on a stock 88. Don't know how realistic that is...but if it is...

Not sure exactly how the gear drive improves. A friend of mine briefly explained it to me...something about the gear to gear causes less loss of power from engine to wheel (one less path for energy to travel? I dunno)...

I'm with you on not wanting to jump straight into the SE parts. They're fine and dandy I'm sure...but I don't want to drop twice as much on something that might yield only a portion of the results.

BTW...saw you are in Southern Maryland. Who will be doing your work? Or is this a DIY project for you?
Old 08-03-2006
103 herritage

I hear you guys on wanting aftermarket parts for the price reason. I went with all se and hd parts and had the dealer install for warranty reasons, glad because i had problems. Read the thread on head upgrade. I now have 103" which makes over 110 hp with all hd/se parts. First did a 95" kit that made 95hp with stock heads, heavy valve springs, 258 cams, high tensile cyl. studs, se race tuner, v&h big shot staggered (chambered) All this is covered under harleys warranty if installed by them. Im sure you can go aftermarket for less $$ but what if you have a problem like i did?
Old 08-03-2006
06NightTrain44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103 herritage
I hear you guys on wanting aftermarket parts for the price reason. I went with all se and hd parts and had the dealer install for warranty reasons, glad because i had problems. Read the thread on head upgrade. I now have 103" which makes over 110 hp with all hd/se parts. First did a 95" kit that made 95hp with stock heads, heavy valve springs, 258 cams, high tensile cyl. studs, se race tuner, v&h big shot staggered (chambered) All this is covered under harleys warranty if installed by them. Im sure you can go aftermarket for less $$ but what if you have a problem like i did?
I understand your concern about the warranty...but I tend to side with what someone said in another post...something about not letting the dealers scare you w/ the warranty and forcing you to buy their parts. I'm not concerned about spending less...I'm concerned with the overall value. I'll spend more if it means I'll have a quality build using proven parts. I've experienced first hand and talked with enough people around here to know that I don't have a lot of faith in my dealership...they don't take the time to talk about minor things, so I don't know that I'd want them rushing through my build so they could churn out the next 10 in line behind me. They do a lot of business...mostly because it's such a heavily populated area. Even for general service you have to call and schedule at least two weeks in advance. They're always backed up, and always in a hurry to send you on your way.

My bottom line is this--I've found a few indy shops that have great reputations from just about everyone I've talked to. I'm heading down to talk to one of them this weekend. If they are what everyone says they are, then I'd rather give them the business...and I'll void my warranty if it means having a trusted, reputable tech working on it. It took me a long time to finally get a bike, and it was a substantial investment for me. I'd prefer to take it to someone who will give it the attention it deserves, and not to a dealer tech who tries to turn it over faster than a Big Mac in a McDonalds drive through.

Ironically...I hate McDonalds.

Glad your build worked out though, and apologies if I sound a little ticked here...every time I think about my dealer I get a little heated.

Last edited by 06NightTrain44 : 08-03-2006 at 01:56.
Old 08-03-2006
103 herritage

Good luck to both of you, just thought I would share my experiance in what happened. I deffinatley think a good 95" build is the most bang for the $$ I got roped into the 103" and did get more power but dont really think it was worth the money like the 95 was. Matter of fact I came across a article in hot bike (vol 38, no 9,08/01/06)where speeds performance plus did a 95" build that put out 119hp.
Old 09-11-2006
cloudrider

I had a bike with a 96" S&S "crate" motor in it. It used their 261 cam. I put in a Headquarters 23 cam and it made a big difference in the midrange. Really took off. I have an STD 106" short stroke engine in a bike which has an independant runner system and dual carbs. The cam was one STD uses for most of their engines. I replaced it with a Headquarters cam and had to do the following. Change ign adv to 32 degrees total all in @2500 rpm. Change needles on the carbs (Mikuni 45's) from 97 to 96 and raise them one groove.
Chaange pilot jets from 20 and 22.5 to 30 and 32.5. All this to give it more fuel due to the increase in airflow through the engine due to the cam change.

I think Headquarters makes excellent cams. I am currently building a 107" TC engine using Baisleys dual carb heads and fully intend to use HQ cams in it.

HQ also does excellent porting work. They did the Baisley heads for me.

Lee
Old 09-11-2006
sculpin Offline
Only In America!
Supreme Member

sculpin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudrider
I had a bike with a 96" S&S "crate" motor in it. It used their 261 cam. I put in a Headquarters 23 cam and it made a big difference in the midrange. Really took off. I have an STD 106" short stroke engine in a bike which has an independant runner system and dual carbs...

I think Headquarters makes excellent cams. I am currently building a 107" TC engine using Baisleys dual carb heads and fully intend to use HQ cams in it...

Lee
I can see why they call you "CloudRider"!

When you have the horsepower you have in those engines you can't get through the "burgh" without sailing a couple miles into the stratusphere!!!! All those hills are like ramps for xtreme jumps!

Have one with everything for me at Primanti Bros! And an Iron City...(better you than me!) LMAO

Sculpin
Arcade
Challenge sculpin in the Arcade!
Old 09-11-2006
06NightTrain44

Man, please don't talk about Primanti Bros...I used to go at least once a week. I'd go down to the strip from New Castle, have a Pastrami and a Roast beef, then go home for a grease nap. There was a bar in D.C. that was serving "Pittsburgh style" sandwiches for a while. They stopped shortly after...I don't think anyone understood the concept. As for the Iron City...had enough this past weekend to drop an elephant.

The bikes sound awesome Cloudrider, thanks for the op on the cams.