Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Polish & Shine
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish & Shine Have questions regarding chrome dress up parts? Just want to get insight into what cleaner to use or polish? Here's the place to find it.

------------ ------------
Old 06-22-2006
05FLHTC-I

shine your forks, the easy way

Supplies needed:
Mirrex metal Polish, Green scrub pads, brake clean, and quality paper towels.

Step 1: Remove front fender (not nessesary but makes life a little easier)

Step 2: Raise front end enough to get the front wheel off the ground making sure the bike is secure and will not fall over. (once again, not nessesary but makes life a little easier)

Step 3: Cut the green scrub pads into 3-4 inch squares

Step 4: Soak the green pads in brake clean and start scrubbing down the fork lowers.
(This will remove the clear coat and get them down to bare metal. Remember to wipe off the residue that is left behind occasionally so that you get a uniform finish when you are done. You will want to try and follow the "Grain" of the metal which you will see as the clear coat is removed. Keep the green pads soaked in brake clean and change pads every now and again. They are like sand paper and will be ineffective with wear)

Step 5: Repeat step 4 on both forks till they have a uniform finish.

Step 6: When all the clear coat is gone, apply Mirrex to a small section of folded (not wadded) paper towel. Begin applying the polish to the forks. The more you rub, the more the polish will turn black on the forks. The polish will go on wet, then dry to a haze. Once it is dried, simply buff off with a clean paper towel making sure to find clean spots on the paper towel just as if you were waxing your paint.

Step 7: Repeat step 6 untill you have a uniform finish and are happy with the results.
(The more you repeat, the better the shine gets, untill it cant get any better)

After care: You will want to apply the metal polish once a week or so. It will be like waxing your paint, quick and easy. This is just for upkeep of the shine and shouldnt take more than a couple minutes. No more hard work!

I use Mirrex because it is easy on and easy off with quick results. It is like waxing with liquid wax. I have not found many suppliers of Mirrex but if you look up Elliot Wilson Capitol Trucks in Manassas, Virginia (888) 787-4787 you can order it. It costs about 15 dollars a bottle but is well worth it and will last quite awhile. You MUST use quality paper towels with this stuff. No rags, soft cloths or anything else. Other metal polishes will work but you will need to adjust the method of application to the manufacturers directions. I reccomend finding a used fork leg at a dealer or small shop that they are going to throw away to practice on first. Once you get the hang of it, you can apply to your own fork lowers.

Even if your fork lowers are weathered and look like... you know what, they can be polished using this method.

This process works on any polished clear coated part on your bike. Follow the directions and use the right materials. The whole process should take ony a couple hours.

Feel free to respond to this post with any questions. Once I figure out how to post pictures on this site, I will send a few step by step photos on my own bike.
Enjoy!

Last edited by 05FLHTC-I : 06-22-2006 at 07:57.

Old 07-10-2006
paul_scooter

Re: shine your forks, the easy way

I would really like to see your close up photos.
thanks
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FLHTC-I

Supplies needed:
Mirrex metal Polish, Green scrub pads, brake clean, and quality paper towels.

Step 1: Remove front fender (not nessesary but makes life a little easier)

Step 2: Raise front end enough to get the front wheel off the ground making sure the bike is secure and will not fall over. (once again, not nessesary but makes life a little easier)

Step 3: Cut the green scrub pads into 3-4 inch squares

Step 4: Soak the green pads in brake clean and start scrubbing down the fork lowers.
(This will remove the clear coat and get them down to bare metal. Remember to wipe off the residue that is left behind occasionally so that you get a uniform finish when you are done. You will want to try and follow the "Grain" of the metal which you will see as the clear coat is removed. Keep the green pads soaked in brake clean and change pads every now and again. They are like sand paper and will be ineffective with wear)

Step 5: Repeat step 4 on both forks till they have a uniform finish.

Step 6: When all the clear coat is gone, apply Mirrex to a small section of folded (not wadded) paper towel. Begin applying the polish to the forks. The more you rub, the more the polish will turn black on the forks. The polish will go on wet, then dry to a haze. Once it is dried, simply buff off with a clean paper towel making sure to find clean spots on the paper towel just as if you were waxing your paint.

Step 7: Repeat step 6 untill you have a uniform finish and are happy with the results.
(The more you repeat, the better the shine gets, untill it cant get any better)

After care: You will want to apply the metal polish once a week or so. It will be like waxing your paint, quick and easy. This is just for upkeep of the shine and shouldnt take more than a couple minutes. No more hard work!

I use Mirrex because it is easy on and easy off with quick results. It is like waxing with liquid wax. I have not found many suppliers of Mirrex but if you look up Elliot Wilson Capitol Trucks in Manassas, Virginia (888) 787-4787 you can order it. It costs about 15 dollars a bottle but is well worth it and will last quite awhile. You MUST use quality paper towels with this stuff. No rags, soft cloths or anything else. Other metal polishes will work but you will need to adjust the method of application to the manufacturers directions. I reccomend finding a used fork leg at a dealer or small shop that they are going to throw away to practice on first. Once you get the hang of it, you can apply to your own fork lowers.

Even if your fork lowers are weathered and look like... you know what, they can be polished using this method.

This process works on any polished clear coated part on your bike. Follow the directions and use the right materials. The whole process should take ony a couple hours.

Feel free to respond to this post with any questions. Once I figure out how to post pictures on this site, I will send a few step by step photos on my own bike.
Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2006
desertduckpv

sure would like to see them also
Old 07-17-2006
Dynamo

I would also like to see the results.
Old 09-11-2008
bigtwinhd

It Works Good But Ill Stick To Zepher 40. You Can Get It At Just About Any Truck Stop. You Know It Has To Be Easy On Easy Off For Truckers To Use On Those Shiney Wheels. Steve
Old 09-11-2008
old skool

is it a good idea to take the clear off the front forks? don't know if it would matter or not
Old 09-11-2008
Mick the Blood Offline
BlackHarleyRider
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Mick the Blood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead73 View Post
I did that to a guys forks one time ,and then had them powder coated with nickel finish powder coat. They looked like polished stainless.
I like the sound of that, any pics?

The Biker site [RIDING TO THE DARKSIDE] CLOSING DOWN TILL FURTHER NOTICE

Micks and Joes NEW venture. I.M.T.A.R.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-08-2008
liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_scooter View Post
I would really like to see your close up photos.
thanks
Paul
When the photo coming ?

Liverpool
Old 10-08-2008
Horse Offline
Full of it.
Supreme Member

Horse has a spectacular aura aboutHorse has a spectacular aura aboutHorse has a spectacular aura about

I've always ended up polishing my lower legs, sooner or later, the factory clear coat over hastily prepared aluminum gets to me. Trust me when I say that I've done Many of these. I've done them quickly, and I've done them painstakingly. In the end, for a good look, they don't have to be perfect, most of the imperfections dissapear with a distance of a foot or more. So the process of removing the clear and smothing the legs is usually enough to make them shine like chrome. If you go too far, then they show every little thing, and you end up working constantly to keep them in showroom condition. The mothers line of polishes seems to keep the shine longer than anything else I've tried, and with the billet polish and their power ball, it takes only a minute to restore it.
Old 10-08-2008
Furcifer Offline
SUPER Moder-A-TOR!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Furcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really nice

Step 1: Buy a Springer and a spoke brush...

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

"Gunfighting is one part technique and three parts attitude. It is the man, rather than the gun, that matters." -Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.(ret.), Founder, IPSC
Arcade
Challenge Furcifer in the Arcade!