Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Engine Stuff
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Stuff Questions about all things engine related? Here's a place for all you gearheads to sit and discuss your favorite V-twin engine, what you liked or disliked, and improvements you've made.

------------ ------------
Old 06-18-2006
Rogerflh

Question crankcase breather

I have a 81 FLH with a 80 inch Shovle. The valve train was redone last year and I just put new cylinders and pistons in it. Now its pushing oil out the crankcase breather. What could be the problem?

Old 06-18-2006
Daredevil

Re: crankcase breather

Id start with a compression test to make sure the rings seated properly
Old 06-22-2006
rleuth76

Yeah the compression test is a good idea. I have a 76 ironhead, redid the engine, came up with the same problem. Checked compression and it was fine. What I did for now so I don't have tons of oil flowing down the whole underside is to extend the drain with a hose to just right of the rear tire by the exhaust. Seems to kep most of the "leaks" from getting all over the place.
I did read a little more and there is an oil slinger in the gear case up by the generator, (if yours is sort of like the sporty) which is suppose to separate the oil from air. That is what I am looking into getting repaced or atleast look at it to see if it is worn.
Old 06-29-2006
Billthecat

There is also a check valve/ball that could be sticking. Had the same problem with my pan. After the engine got hot it stopped. Starting an engine that has been sitting with 60-70 weight oil for awhile will do the same thing. The idea of venting it to the rear with a hose works well. I have also seen people using a PCV valve for a small 4 cylinder at the end of the vent tube to help out.
Old 06-30-2006
bikerhago

My guess would be that during the down time your oil pump check ball seeped oil into the crankcases , this is very common and should either clear itself in a few miles or will need to pull, clean ,inspect , and possibly redo the ball and seat as found needed to clear the problem.
Old 07-08-2006
Rogerflh

I want to thank everyone for the info. I did check the ball and the compression and they look good. The only thing I have not tried is running it for a while to see if it clears up. There is pressure coming out the hose. Should there be? With a new top end could a seal in the lower end have blown and cause this? VERY FRUSTRATING. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-08-2006
Dyna Jim Offline
CC Big Kahuna/Janitor

Supreme Member

My Mood:
Dyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: crankcase breather

Roger stop right there! Who's cylinders did you use? I just had a customer get cylinders that the Oil drainback holes wer'nt drilled all the way. Hence it would puke oil out the top as it filled and couldn't return to the crankcase. Check the oil drainback holes (not just with a flashlight either), and make sure the gaskets line up with the drainbacks! This guy was an experienced shovel mech, and he fought this for two weeks.

DJ

ASE Certified: Master Engine Machinist, Tech & Chrome Pimp
Arcade
Challenge Dyna Jim in the Arcade!
Old 07-08-2006
Daredevil

still watching this post keep us updated
Old 07-08-2006
Daredevil

I read on another site that a misaligned oil pump will cause it to sump and puke in breather or vent tube
Old 07-09-2006
Rogerflh

Problem fixed. I cleaned the check ball and ran it down the road to blow all the oil out the crankcase. No more leaking. Thanks everyone for the help.