Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Performance Enhancements
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Performance Enhancements Questions on performance upgrades? Got a new performance upgrade you want to share? Maybe a nifty tip or trick to add?

------------ ------------
Old 06-06-2006
beachrooster

fuel pak vs screaming eagle?

I recently bought a 06 road king and I want to put a stage one air intake, vance hine ovals, and a vance hine fuel pak. The harley dealer said I should use their igniton system. Is there any advantage? Should I have the bike dynoed? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2006
slyman

Re: fuel pak vs screaming eagle?

Just bought 06 FLHTCI, I asked the same questions, they told me I would have t use oem fuel management systen programmable to even change mufflers 05's were different. once you have it you can pretty much do or have done what you want ,it's the first step to performance, without it they told me that bike would be subject to shut down if exhaust was changed, I had it installed runs great, performs better and made muffler change, the did not recommend POWER COMMANDER, SOMETHING ABOUT POWER SURGES?? GOOD LUCK
Old 06-07-2006
sculpin Offline
Only In America!
Supreme Member

sculpin is on a distinguished road

Thats funny. My local dealership recommended, ordered and will soon be installing the Power Commander unit on mine!

My first inclination is to suspect that they all try to push the Screamin Eagle stuff, (for obvious reasons). For the most part there is probably not much difference. In fact, a lot of the Screamin Eagle parts are other manufacturers parts, reboxed, shined up and price doubled. For example, DJ gave me the "heads-up" on the Screamin Eagle 42mm flat slide carb. It is just a Mikuni with a chrome piece on top and a SE box. Screamin Eagle price $450.00, Mikuni price $250.00.

It's easy to do the math.

I'm not saying to ignore their recommendations. I'm just saying it pays to do a little homework.

Sculpin
Arcade
Challenge sculpin in the Arcade!
Old 06-07-2006
dirtyharry

I asked the dealer the same about my '06 Ultra and putting on Ovals. There are two guys at the service desk. The first one recommended the Screamin Eagle. Two days later I called and asked for the other guy. He recommended using V & H's fuel pak, and said it had future versatility.
Old 06-07-2006
DBSURVEY19

I bought a used 02 RK and the guy before me did the stage one with V&H pipes and the download re-map. bike has good power but I've been getting popping (lean, I think) on decel. my Harley service bud says just re-map, no power commander or fuel pak necessary (or Dyno) (I said, huh???).
I live 2 blocks away from Rosa's cycle shop on Long Island, and the tech there, says, definitely do the Power Commander and the Dyno, I won't be disappointed.
At $650 I better not be.
I'll let you know what I decide and the results.
Any other input greatly appreciated before I bite the bullet.
DB
Old 06-07-2006
Dyna Jim Offline
CC Big Kahuna/Janitor

Supreme Member

My Mood:
Dyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSURVEY19
I bought a used 02 RK and the guy before me did the stage one with V&H pipes and the download re-map. bike has good power but I've been getting popping (lean, I think) on decel. my Harley service bud says just re-map, no power commander or fuel pak necessary (or Dyno) (I said, huh???).
I live 2 blocks away from Rosa's cycle shop on Long Island, and the tech there, says, definitely do the Power Commander and the Dyno, I won't be disappointed.
At $650 I better not be.
I'll let you know what I decide and the results.
Any other input greatly appreciated before I bite the bullet.
DB
My .02 but power commanders are under $300 here, and if you have a common combination, a dyno is un-necessary. Powercommander maps are made on a powercommander tuning Dyno, and the map is specific to the combination of pipe air filter etc.

Look here www.powercommander.com and check out the maps database. I'd imagine all you need is a PC and the maps are free.
DJ

ASE Certified: Master Engine Machinist, Tech & Chrome Pimp
Arcade
Challenge Dyna Jim in the Arcade!
Old 06-08-2006
sculpin Offline
Only In America!
Supreme Member

sculpin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna Jim
My .02 but power commanders are under $300 here, and if you have a common combination, a dyno is un-necessary. Powercommander maps are made on a powercommander tuning Dyno, and the map is specific to the combination of pipe air filter etc.

Look here www.powercommander.com and check out the maps database. I'd imagine all you need is a PC and the maps are free.
DJ
Yes (what DJ said...) and if you don't find your specific combination listed on their map page (as in my case), just e-mail them and they will give you the map info.

It took them a couple days to get back to me, but thats OK, I'm sure they get lots of e-mail tech requests.

Sculpin
Arcade
Challenge sculpin in the Arcade!
Old 06-09-2006
beachrooster

Jim, sorry for all these questions, but i'm just starting out. What do you reccommend with my 06 FLHRIC. Fuel pak or something else? How are any of them different. You don't think a dyno is necessary if I use these standard parts? Is it OK to leave the chrome cover off my air intake (screaming eagle). Should I try to so the install myself? Thanks John
Old 06-09-2006
Dyna Jim Offline
CC Big Kahuna/Janitor

Supreme Member

My Mood:
Dyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrooster
Jim, sorry for all these questions, but i'm just starting out. What do you reccommend with my 06 FLHRIC. Fuel pak or something else? How are any of them different. You don't think a dyno is necessary if I use these standard parts? Is it OK to leave the chrome cover off my air intake (screaming eagle). Should I try to so the install myself? Thanks John
John,
Lemme help you out here, I sell the fuel paks but I don't reccomend them. They limit what you can do later on, and only handle fuel. The power commander however is an open architecture, and allows for ease of installtion on common components, or even manual and Dyno tuning if you wish. Here is a link to the PC for your application: http://www.cyclespot.com/Merchant2/m...y/HS-1020-0001

For the air filter, I would spend a couple of extra bucks and go with the K&N RK-3909. It flows a little better than the SE stageI and the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and doesn't stick out quite as far (leg room wise). Here is a link to that item: http://www.cyclespot.com/Merchant2/m...ode=HS-RK-3909

If you need anything else, feel free to email me (not via the forum please) or give me a call.
DJ

ASE Certified: Master Engine Machinist, Tech & Chrome Pimp
Arcade
Challenge Dyna Jim in the Arcade!
Old 06-14-2006
brewdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrooster
I recently bought a 06 road king and I want to put a stage one air intake, vance hine ovals, and a vance hine fuel pak. The harley dealer said I should use their igniton system. Is there any advantage? Should I have the bike dynoed? Any advice would be appreciated.
I just did a dealer installed stage one upgrade. I bought SE pro pipe 2 into 1, the refueler box (adjustable) $250 bucks instead of the $150 download, and the SE air filter kit. The refueler lets them adjust without any downloads when I do the 95" kit this winter. Definately noticed a power difference but am still enjoying 45 miles per gallon.