Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Lube Rack
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lube Rack Questions about oils, gear lubes? Got a great new oil or lubricant you want everyone to know about? How about open discussions on synthetic oils vs. dino?

------------ ------------
Old 05-21-2006
BigRedNJ

Transmission fluid change in sportster

Trying to figure out exactly how to do a primary/transmission fluid change in my '03 sportster. Clymer manual says to pull the drain plug and fill from the inspection cover. I'm assuming this is the small oval primary chain inspection cover. Simple enough, however it says to check the fluid level by removing the CLUTCH inspection cover and checking that the fluid level is even with the diaphragm spring. I'm a bit leery of removing the clutch inspection cover and having 50 little parts come flying out just to check the fluid level. Am I missing something here? Anyone have a link to a step by step on this?
Thanks!

Old 05-23-2006
Effexer1

Re: Transmission fluid change in sportster

To remove the clutch inspection cover, you just take out the 6 or 8 allan or torx cap screws. There is an o-ring around the inside of the cover that you should ensure gets cleaned and put back in, but nothing will come flying out. It is just a cover. Add your fluid here, to the bottom of the clutch basket. Once you take the cover off, you will realize that it isn't complicated. Your feeling of accomplishment will be great!!!
Old 05-23-2006
BigRedNJ

OK here's a dumb question. Suppose I already filled the fluid from the smaller inspection hole up and to the left of the clutch inspection cover. Is this OK? Does the fluid still get to the same spot?
Old 05-24-2006
wagondog

BigRed
I recently changed my primary fluid in my 03 Sporty for the first time (Markster gave me the confidence factor to try it). The only reason you would take off the derby cover is to check the fluid level, it's supposed to come right to the bottom of the clutch plates but it really is difficult to see it even with the derby cover off. Just go with the service manual capacity, I believe it is 30 oz, but check anyway. I found the suggested capacity to be just right.
If you ever do take off the derby cover, (you should just to see what's in there) there is one spring that comes jumpin' out at ya'. It rests on a shoulder on the derby cover and is compressed on the clutch when you put the cover back on. Not a big deal as long as you know about it and it doesn't pop off without you seeing it.
Good advice from Markster about the primary chain, I found it by accident. When you have the inspection cover off take a flashlight and look in the hole, you'll see a chain. move the chain up and down with your finger and estimate the travel. The Clymer gives the suggested travel, I believe it is 1/4 to 3/8 inch, check your book. On the bottom of the primary case you will find a slotted stud with a lock nut. Lossen the lock nut and tighten the slotted stud to get the right travel, lock the nut and torque it, done deal.
My Sporty had only 2000 miles on her and the chain was fairly loose, if it hasn't been checked and she is loose you're going to notice a big improvment in the shifting, especially into first gear from a stop.
Good Luck
Wagondog
Old 05-08-2008
debs_n_soots Offline
UK biker chic(k)

debs_n_soots is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I was going to change my transmission oil on my 2005 XL883C - by the book, so to speak....HOWEVER... what doesn't seem clear in the Owners Handbook is whether to check the level with my bike on its sidestand - or whether I need to have it upright/level.

Anyone have the definitive answer?

Thanks, Debs
Old 05-08-2008
pcarr1701 Offline
The Switchblade Guy
Supreme Member

My Mood:
pcarr1701 will become famous soon enoughpcarr1701 will become famous soon enough

I did this when I installed the new clutch cable on the bobber. It does seem kind of antiquated to have to remove the inspection derby cover to check and change the oil. Make sure that the bike is upright, or the fluid will spill right out the side. Been there, done that!
Arcade
Challenge pcarr1701 in the Arcade!
Old 05-08-2008
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedNJ View Post
Trying to figure out exactly how to do a primary/transmission fluid change in my '03 sportster. Clymer manual says to pull the drain plug and fill from the inspection cover. I'm assuming this is the small oval primary chain inspection cover. Simple enough, however it says to check the fluid level by removing the CLUTCH inspection cover and checking that the fluid level is even with the diaphragm spring. I'm a bit leery of removing the clutch inspection cover and having 50 little parts come flying out just to check the fluid level. Am I missing something here? Anyone have a link to a step by step on this?
Thanks!
i always change my own fuluid and trust me it is the best idea to go with what the manual says, i always take offf my derby cover (or clutch cover as everyone in here is calling it) get a new gasket and fill it that way. if you use a flashlight it is easy to see where to fill it to, just take a note from the picture in the manual and fill it untill you can't see the bottom teeth in the clutch spring anymore. this should be shcecked with the scoot upright. from my own experience my sporty does not take a whole bottle of tranny fluid (i think its a quart) it takes about 3/4 until that sprocket is covered. i am a guy who is not mechanicly inclined and this really is an easy job. YOU CAN DO IT the only part that is a pain is to get that dam gasket to sit right on the derby cover when you go to put it back on the scoot, but hey it may be different for different years, i got an 04 so maybe they made it harder for that year
Old 05-10-2008
debs_n_soots Offline
UK biker chic(k)

Well I changed my oil(s) today - straightforward enough taking it out, but nothing but problems putting it back. Some pearls of wisdom would be appreciated...

Transmission. I note 'old skool' said he only about 3/4 of a bottle of oil - ditto for me - and it was slightly above the 'spring' mentioned in the manual. Is this going to cause a problem - and why do they say 946 mililitres if it only takes 750 or so?

Engine Oil. Followed the instructions - or tried to. The manual said 3.4 litres. The shop only gave me 3 litres (they're 80 miles from me) However - even at that it seems to be overfull? I ran it for a minute or so but it didn't seem to help. Perhaps after I've taken it for a run it will settle? Or is that a load of rubbish? To make matters worse I cant get the oil tank cap back on. I'm supposed to turn it 1/4 turn clockwise - then push down. I cant seem to get it more than 1/8 turn round. I did manage it earlier - but took it out again to check the level. There's no apparent damage to the plug or the oil tank - its driving me mad. I hate leaving things unfinished - and I want to use the bloomin' thing tomorrow

HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!
Old 05-10-2008
debs_n_soots Offline
UK biker chic(k)

UPDATE TO RECENT POST

I am a numpty! I have solved the last problem at least.....there was too much oil in (about 0.25 litres) and, as an engineer, I should know that oil is an incompressible fluid. Well, I do know - but it kind of slipped my mind. I guess its a good bit of design by Harley. Overfill your oil tank and it wont shut. However it strikes me it would be handy to mention this in the manual. It would have saved me 2 hrs of fretting - and for someone without mechanical knowledge it might save them a trip to the garage....

Oh well. All's well that ends well. Still intrigued about the oil levels though. With the engine oil I imagine it might be because I drained it on the sidestand (as per manual instructions I might add). Next time I'll do it level. With the transmission oil (which I did do upright) I'm bamboozled.

Observations still very welcome

Thanks, Debbie
Old 05-10-2008
DaFish Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
DaFish will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Transmission fluid change in sportster

Deb,

Your oil fill for a dry sump and a wet sump i.e. the bike has been run before will be different. Just make note of how much your particular scoot holds and install almost that much.....crank the bike....let it sit for a few minutes and check it again.....then add enough to bring it up to the top level of the stick(s).

On the tranny, mine takes 24-28 ounces.

Hope this helps you out!

DaFish