Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Electrical/Ignition/Lights
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Electrical/Ignition/Lights Have questions regarding your ingintion system? This is a place to find answers to ignition questions of all types.

------------ ------------
Old 06-18-2011
The Mad Russian Offline
Dedicated Bar Hopper/Poker Runner

The Mad Russian is on a distinguished road
Everythings checks out, but weak spark from coil.

I have a 1963 custom panhead with an non-electronic ignition system. Kick start only. I've been working on pans since 1970,, but I can't get it started. Built the Pan in 1988. Was running but blew the primary belt. Replaced it. All the sudden, I now have weak spark. After doing lots of tracing of wiring, replacing coil, regulator, points and capacitor, checked continuity, etc. I still have weak spark. The spark is orange/yellow and very weak. Again, checked resistance and voltage every where... but can't get a decent spark. I'm stumped!!!
TMR

Old 06-18-2011
plumbertom Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

plumbertom will become famous soon enough
Re: Everythings checks out, but weak spark from coil.

Check the Grounding?
Old 06-18-2011
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Hitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really nice
Question Re: Everythings checks out, but weak spark from coil.

I mean no disrespect, but sometimes, me included, we develop tunnel vision, when we are stressed with a problem.

Have you tried changing the plug wires?

The reason I ask, is that was what happened to me.

It was a car, and I changed everything.

My Dad asked if I had checked the plug wires.

Changed them, and everything was fine.

When you find the answer, please, let us know what it was.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY HEROES

NRA PATRON MEMBER

Arcade
Challenge Hitman in the Arcade!
Old 06-18-2011
plumbertom Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

I'd at least check them with a VOM.
My short suggestion above is because a bad ground can and often does cause poor current flow,
Most people don't know that electron flow is from Negative to Positive not the other way around.
Old 06-18-2011
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Hitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really nice
Wink Re: Everythings checks out, but weak spark from coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbertom View Post
I'd at least check them with a VOM.
My short suggestion above is because a bad ground can and often does cause poor current flow,
Most people don't know that electron flow is from Negative to Positive not the other way around.
Tom, when I tried to start my bike, yesterday, all I got was a "click".

Removed the seat, (and this isn't the first time) and found the ground bolt loose, on the battery.

Snugged it up, and away I went.

I sometimes wonder if it's because of the Battery Tender pigtail. ???

NRA PATRON MEMBER

Arcade
Old 06-18-2011
plumbertom Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

I don't use a tender on my bike. It seldom sits for more than a couple a days that I don't ride. But a proper made connection should have no affect on the bolt loosening. More likely that the cable binds with the seat on and puts pressure on it.
Combine that with a Milwaukee Vibrator and you got a prescription for loose bolts.
Old 06-18-2011
The Mad Russian Offline
Dedicated Bar Hopper/Poker Runner

The Mad Russian is on a distinguished road

Thank you both, Hitman and Plumertom. Unforunately I know this scoot inside and out. I totally rebuilt her in 1994 and she was still running strong Memorial Day weekend. Began the run and blew the primary belt (old one about 7 years) so no real surprise. Got her home and put a new belt on. tried to kick her over and wouldn't start. So began with checking the spark at the plugs....very little spark. did a ohm reading and found the secondary coil was open. Bought a new coil and installed it. Still had same problem. Been through the whole system three times, did every check I could think of using my multimeter, checked for voltage...good every place. Checked resistance ...good every place. I wired this sucker so I pretty much know what goes where. I get 12+ volts at both sides (top and bottom) at the primary coil. so I'm stumped. 12 volts at the points (single point system). Check the switch,, no shorts nor opened where not wanted....Going to pull the distrubtor top off and make sure there is no problem with the wire that goes to the points....but it does not seem to be grounded neither (with the points opened). So, would seem that there is a ground short somewhere, BUT as I said I get 12+ volts at the primary. BTW... used all the tricks of the trade checking out spark from the secondary coil... the secondary coil is not opened (checked for open with multimeter... showed resistance required and no open circuit). I don't have electric start and have owned this pan since 1988, total rebuild 1994. I, for safe measures, changed the points and condensor and used a spark tester right at the secondary coil and still not much spark. Battery is charged and all wiring seems to be fine. I doubt it's the new coil... so I guess I have to try again... starting as I said with the distributor....SIGHHHHH! Also when I wired it in '88, I created two circuits, one for ignition only and one for lights and brake lights. So I have been able to rule out the lighting system circuit. Anyway, Thanks again for all your suggestions! Truly appreciate your time and effort replying to my post! TMR

Last edited by The Mad Russian : 06-18-2011 at 04:05.
Old 06-18-2011
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Talking Re: Everythings checks out, but weak spark from coil.

Well, TMR, as I said, I meant no disrespect.

Just trying to look at it, from another perspective.

Please, when you find the problem, let us know?

Also, we would like to see some pics, of your scooter.

We love pics.

NRA PATRON MEMBER

Arcade
Old 06-18-2011
Horse Offline
Full of it.
Supreme Member

Horse has a spectacular aura aboutHorse has a spectacular aura aboutHorse has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried repolarizing the gen? I know it shouldn't have depolarized, but it happens.
Old 06-18-2011
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Red face Re: Everythings checks out, but weak spark from coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Have you tried repolarizing the gen? I know it shouldn't have depolarized, but it happens.
I forgot all about that.

Had to do that, with my 51 Pan.

NRA PATRON MEMBER

Arcade