Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Engine Stuff
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Stuff Questions about all things engine related? Here's a place for all you gearheads to sit and discuss your favorite V-twin engine, what you liked or disliked, and improvements you've made.

------------ ------------
Old 08-05-2010
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about
120r

have you all checked out the new 120R crate engine? Very different for H-D to put out a crate engine that will, reportedly develop 135-145 rwhp and directly bolt in to an existing frame for a very reasonable price; way cheaper than building one. 4.060" x 4.625 should make some serious torque. I must admit it probably needs a crank work and maybe a Timken but very interesting piece of hardware, particularly when price is factored in.

Warranty? Probably at the home dealer only if at all; 120R = 120 Race. Check it out.
Challenge djl in the Arcade!

Old 08-05-2010
harleygirl65 Offline
Is developing high concentrations of Iron in his/her Butt
Supreme Member

harleygirl65 has a spectacular aura aboutharleygirl65 has a spectacular aura aboutharleygirl65 has a spectacular aura about
Re: 120r

This is the first I'd heard about it - definitely sounds like something to look into. Wow. What are you hearing on cost?
Old 08-05-2010
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygirl65 View Post
This is the first I'd heard about it - definitely sounds like something to look into. Wow. What are you hearing on cost?
$5495 in A configuration; $5795 in B configuration; does not include TB, injectors or air box. From a discounted H-D dealer, the price should be under $5K for either. Details are available in the 2011 SE Performance Catalog.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US
Old 08-05-2010
harleygirl65 Offline
Is developing high concentrations of Iron in his/her Butt
Supreme Member

harleygirl65 has a spectacular aura aboutharleygirl65 has a spectacular aura aboutharleygirl65 has a spectacular aura about

Cool, thanks. Something to mull over for the future when I'm out of warranty and/or hit the lottery.

Edit: Ah, the fun part where the HD Legal department covers their butts.

DISCLAIMER

The catalog you are about to view contains parts for race use only. Harley-DavidsonŽ motorcycles modified with Screamin’ EagleŽ Pro performance parts must not be used on public roads and in some cases may be restricted to closed-course competition. All performance parts identified with the crossed flags symbol are intended for racing applications only and are not legal for sale or use in California on pollution-controlled vehicles. Alterations of emission related components constitute tampering under the US EPA guidelines and can lead to substantial fines and penalties.
Old 08-05-2010
DaFish Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
DaFish will become famous soon enough

djl is this the "Jims" engine that has been around for some time or is it a MOCO product?

DaFish
Old 08-05-2010
rednectum

i dont believe the hp figures, thats way serious stuff there. but even if it rips off 120 hp, its a good deal. 5500 bucks plus maybe 2000 to fix it and you have a damn good motor. and way better than the jims stuff.

djl, did you see the flow numbers on those heads? gotta be a new casting altogether, if those numbers are close, those heads will sell faster than you can say dammit boy!
Old 08-05-2010
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:

DaFish,
No, not the Jims motor; 19220-11 for '06 and later Dynas/'07 later Touring; 19206-11 for '07 and later softtails. Us older model owners are SOL.

Red,
I tend to believe the HP figures as the MoCo historically doesn't publish HP figures, onlly torque; probably because the HP figures are embarrasing. The pipe used in testing was a Wegner X pipe; not familiar with that one. I don't know what TB was used or tuning software. But the fact that they published the numbers on a dyno chart makes be tend to believe that 120 woudl be easily achieved and 130 with the right TB, pipe and tune. I am just pissed because my FL is an '02 and my FXSTD is an '05!

This is "out of the box" for the MoCo and pretty smart me thinks.
Old 08-05-2010
DaFish Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
DaFish will become famous soon enough

Man I just wish that I could shoehorn that into my DX!

But just think, I've also got an 08 SG ;-)

Gotta stay realistic.........Or NOT????

DaFish
Old 08-05-2010
rednectum

i guess we will see if someone bolts one in. remember the parasitic loses of the cruise drive, and the inability of dealers to tune, so the dealer installed motor will get a generic map? the heads look impressive if you look at flow numbers, but we know about factory ring and valve seal. 135-145hp is really tough to get even with real builds and great tunes if the dyno is accurate.

i do applaud whoever at hd snuck this past the bean counters------or is this a test bed for the next engine upgrade in a couple years? can ya just see a standard 120 , detuned of course to maybe 100 tq, in all hd bikes? is this maybe an admission that the 110 just didnt cut the mustard?

btw, there is a wegner that does engines for nascar. wonder if the exhaust used for the dyno sheet will actually ever fit a motorcycle or go into production? lots of ifs right now.
Old 08-05-2010
Fatboy 08 Offline
Now, get up and apologize
Supreme Member

Fatboy 08 will become famous soon enough

My friend just bought a 2010 StreetGlide and had this motor installed. Has nothing but problems with it. The oil pump went and they replaced the entire engine. He now has problems with noises in the front cylinder. He did the injectors pipes and tune and still has problems. I rode the bike and I don't think the motor has the power they claim. I will keep you updated as the bike is at the dealer again now.