Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Touring Models
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Touring Models Got one of those Lazy boys on wheels? Road King Custom, Road Glide, Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide or Road King Classic motorcycles? Here's your forum!

------------ ------------
Old 01-27-2010
Tim Upleger Offline
Tourin' junkie

My Mood:
Tim Upleger is on a distinguished road
Re: Battery Removal

Yea, I guess it gets pretty cold in Alabama this time of year. I noticed it was only 50 degrees in Birmingham today. We had a warm up to 27 degrees today with sun for the first time in two weeks. Wind is straight out of the North at 20 MPH though. Wind chill of 9 degrees. Going down to 19 degrees tonight. Almost spring time here in Michigan!
I ride year around too, but I have a Goldwing to ride in the really cold months. You know, from September to May. The Ultra is in the garage and hooked up to the tender and up off the floor on a lift. Come on spring!

Old 01-27-2010
imrotton2 Offline
just passn thru
Supreme Member

My Mood:
imrotton2 is on a distinguished road

january was the coldest its been in around 50 yrs... some days are great down here.. what part michigan are you from ?? i used to live outside of detroit back in 76..(garden city)when its cold up there it stays cold ,day and nite ... usually about a 30* warm up in day down here. days will be better for everone soon , i hope
Old 01-28-2010
Tim Upleger Offline
Tourin' junkie

My Mood:
Tim Upleger is on a distinguished road

I live in Clinton Township, just outside Mt. Clemens. About 20 miles North of Detroit.
January in Michigan wasn't very warm either. Had a lot of snow too.
Come on Spring!
Old 01-28-2010
ozzyrral Offline
Old School Code Monkey
Supreme Member

My Mood:
ozzyrral has a spectacular aura aboutozzyrral has a spectacular aura aboutozzyrral has a spectacular aura about

OK, gotta add my 2 cents worth here. I keep the deuce in a storage shed during the cold weather so I can park my truck in the garage. Since there is no electricity available in the storage shed the tender is not an option so I pull the battery out and put it on the tender. Fortunately it comes out very easily, 3/8 open end wrench removes the cables and battery lifts right out.

My question is this... even with the ignition turned off with the key, I still get a pretty good spark when disconnecting or re-connecting the battery. Is it the alarm system that's pulling the juice or what?

You can't expect everyone to know your boundaries and abide by them.

Old 01-29-2010
robbie1968vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrral View Post
OK, gotta add my 2 cents worth here. I keep the deuce in a storage shed during the cold weather so I can park my truck in the garage. Since there is no electricity available in the storage shed the tender is not an option so I pull the battery out and put it on the tender. Fortunately it comes out very easily, 3/8 open end wrench removes the cables and battery lifts right out.

My question is this... even with the ignition turned off with the key, I still get a pretty good spark when disconnecting or re-connecting the battery. Is it the alarm system that's pulling the juice or what?
It can be any number of things that is drawing the power, but the security system is the most likely with your bike. This is why anyone storing a bike in freezing weather for longer periods of time and leaving the battery in place should be kept on a tender (if possible). My Ultra tosses in an added complication; my security system has a siren. When you disconnect the battery, the siren goes off. The siren module cannot be accessed without a lot of work (which is intended, otherwise anyone could silence the thing). So for me, keeping it plugged in is my only real option.