Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > CycleChat Community Forums > Weaponry > Guns
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Guns Show off your favorite guns!

View Poll Results: What's your preferred condition of carry for a 1911?
cocked and locked 32 47.06%
half or partial kock, one in the pipe 5 7.35%
hammer down, one in the pipe 16 23.53%
hammer down on an empty chamber 10 14.71%
cocked and locked, chamber empty (easier to rack) 4 5.88%
I just say "long slide 45" cuz I heard Arnold say it in "Terminator". 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

------------ ------------
Old 07-15-2009
Furcifer Offline
SUPER Moder-A-TOR!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Furcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really nice
1911 Carry Condition Poll

Ok for those that tote some flavor of a 1911 on their person, what's your preferred condition of carry? Please post what model you have, too, since not all half-kok notches, thumb or grip safeties are created equal. For instance, the half-kok notches on my Springfield 1911A1 and my Kimber Ultra Covert II are totally different. (Sorry for the funky spelling, but the server won't let me type "half-****".)

"Gunfighting is one part technique and three parts attitude. It is the man, rather than the gun, that matters." -Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.(ret.), Founder, IPSC
Arcade
Challenge Furcifer in the Arcade!

Old 07-15-2009
Heritage632 Offline
Super Moderator
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Heritage632 will become famous soon enough
Re: 1911 Carry Condition Poll

Springfield Armory TRP Model 1911

Mine when carried is C1 (condition one)...kocked and locked.
I read a lot from Clint Smith, Massad Ayoob and many others and my understanding is that kocked and locked is the safest (with a round in the chamber) and the way the gun was designed to be carried. C2 (Hammer down on a live round) is never ever recommended...firing pin block or not (series 70 and older guns in general) Everything I have EVER read about 1911's says that C1 is the way the gun is supposed to be carried. (although C3 hammer down on an empty chamber would be fine as well...except you lose critical seconds in a stressfull situation) JMHO.

Steve

2007 FLSTC
Stage 1 SE Air Cleaner w K&N filter
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Power Commander III
Old 07-15-2009
inchase2 Offline
Thinks Formal Black Attire Means Chaps and a Vest

My Mood:
inchase2 will become famous soon enough

When carried the Colt Combat Commander, Series 70 for about 6yrs as a duty and tactical weapon, it was always carried in C1 as Steve noted unless unloaded in the locker or being field stripped on the bench.
103" SE Stage II Big Bore
SE Pro Super Race Tuner
Diamond Cut Heads
SE Stage 1 Hi-Flow Breather
Rinehart Slip-Ons
HD Oil Cooler
Hawg Wired 300w Audio System
HD Smart Security w/pager
ABS

MY GALLERY
Arcade
Challenge inchase2 in the Arcade!
Old 07-16-2009
Furcifer Offline
SUPER Moder-A-TOR!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Furcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really nice

These types of insights are why I started this thread. Experienced shooters tend to find their way to a 1911 at some point, either for competition, duty or concealed carry. I believe it's one of the most effective and accurate designs, and like Harleys, there are enough aftermarket parts and builders to take pretty much whatever frame you have and turn it into whatever you want.

Some people get nervous about carrying a "kocked gun", but knowledge of the inner workings of the gun and the TWO manual safeties involved is important for utilizing the 1911 in "Condition One".

For those wondering where this came from, it was Jeff Cooper who came up with the "Conditions of Readiness" for a 1911 type pistol:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is kocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "kocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is kocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is on.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3
- The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a loaded magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

I would also add "Clear and safe" as slide locked back, chamber VERIFIED empty, no magazine inserted. Some ranges may also require a range flag inserted through the ejection port.

Additionally, the half-kok method of carry was discovered by some left-handers in WWII, where they didn't have ambi-safeties. This is not a safe method for "Series 80" type pistols, like my Springfield and modern Colts, as the hammer can fall when the trigger is pulled and grip safety disengaged. (My Kimber, however, won't fire from half-kock.)

Did I mention that I cut out the 10-ring at 15 feet with the first magazine I shot with this sweet piece?

"Gunfighting is one part technique and three parts attitude. It is the man, rather than the gun, that matters." -Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.(ret.), Founder, IPSC
Arcade
Challenge Furcifer in the Arcade!
Old 07-16-2009
FSFTS18Z Offline
De Oppresso Liber

FSFTS18Z has a spectacular aura aboutFSFTS18Z has a spectacular aura about

we have different terms we use where i come from. not a big fan of the different conditions either for me its "hot" or "safe". probably the most dangerous "condition" for a 1911 styled is condition 2 (as inchase also stated) and my reason is you have to manually ride the hammer to the down position due to the lack of the decocker. i always carry my colt 1991A1 commander "cocked and locked"
In a world of uncertainty, several actions must come together as one in order to stay alive. Facing the enemy, good palm to grip weld or cheek to stock weld, breathing, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze, recoil management, reacquiring targets, mag change under two and one half seconds and remembering to load your ammo before you leave the wire.

my sanity
Arcade
Challenge FSFTS18Z in the Arcade!
Old 07-16-2009
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Hitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: 1911 Carry Condition Poll

I carry my P-10 the way it was intended.

Cocked and locked! Condition-1.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY HEROES

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

Arcade
Challenge Hitman in the Arcade!
Old 07-16-2009
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Hitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really nice
Talking Re: 1911 Carry Condition Poll

Steve, you must be a regular reader of American Handgunner.

(Clint Smith, Ayoob, and John Conner )

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

Arcade
Old 07-16-2009
Heritage632 Offline
Super Moderator
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Heritage632 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Steve, you must be a regular reader of American Handgunner.

(Clint Smith, Ayoob, and John Conner )
Good call Rick!!! Yeah, I'm an enthusiast so I get them all (American Handgunner, Guns and Ammo, Combat Handguns, Handguns, ShootingTimes etc. I even DVR all the shows on Outdoor Channel...LOL)

Just FYI, I would highly recommend to anyone two incredible books I've learned so much from..."Combat Handgunnery 5th edition by Massad Ayoob" (covers everything from technique to carry, to ballistics etc. for beginners to experts) and "Effective Handgun Defense by Frank James" (covers lots of great info on wound ballistics and the effectivness of certain calibers over others, the interpretation of "STOPPING POWER" and so much more.

Just throwing some books out there that I know helped me gain a lot of knowledge and others here may find enjoyable and informative as well.

Steve

2007 FLSTC
Stage 1 SE Air Cleaner w K&N filter
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Power Commander III
Old 07-16-2009
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Talking Re: 1911 Carry Condition Poll

Steve, been getting AH since the 80's.

The only other one I read is Combat Handguns.

I have one of Massad Ayoob's first books.

"In The Gravest Extreme"

Read it a couple of times.

I'll check those out, too.

Wearing my P-10 (now called the Warthog) right now, with the NAA .32 in my pocket, for back-up.

Heading out to Tombstone, soon.

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

Arcade
Old 07-16-2009
pasturethug

I leave mine in condition three as ive always had non shooters around. When I feel that "gut" feeling condition one. According to Ayoob I need to practice getting my gun into the fight from any situation I may be in. That being said I can get my weapon out fire warning shots before angry dogs can cover 10 yards.