Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Dyna's
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dyna's Spring loaded, rubber mounted. Whether it's a Super Glide to a Wide Glide, find all things Dyna here.

------------ ------------
Old 05-29-2009
d_c_gopokes

transmission/primary fluid change??

I have a 2000 dyna fxd and need to change the transmisson fluid. I have limited knowledge when it comes to mechanics, but have changed the oil on my bike. I am looking for tips/pointers on where to start. dyna glides are similar to sportsters as far as fluids go, but I need some more direction...anyone???

Old 05-29-2009
oneshot1kill

Re: transmission/primary fluid change??

If you dont have the shop manual ,get one they are around $60.It is money well spent and can answer any question you have.
When you change the fluids ,you want to bring the bike up to operating temp.
By doing that you allow any metal shavings to become oil born and drain out with the old oil. Check the drain plug magnets to make sure there is not an unusual amount of metal shavings. The owners manual should also give you all the info you need for crank,trans and primary fluid changes. All pretty simple operations. A torque wrench is recommended for most operations, Ft lbs and inch lbs
Old 05-29-2009
twincruzen Offline
Has Developed Calluses In New Places
Seasoned Member

twincruzen is on a distinguished road

2nd that! I use valvoline 20w 50 full synthetic in the primary and engine oil.
Old 05-29-2009
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about

A good 20W50 synthetic in the engine
Gear lube in the tranny, Redline Heavy Shockproofis probably the best but there others.
Conventional 20W50 or ATF in the primary.

Call me crazy but I am mystified why some use an engine lubricant in a gearbox or synthetic in the primary when conventional works just fine.

gopokes,
I just noticed that you have posted the same post twice, once in the Dynaglide Spot and the other in the Luberack. That's what we call double posting and is discouraged. There are a couple of responses in the Luberack that you may or may not have seen; if not, go check them out as I will be deleting that post in about an hour.

Last edited by djl : 05-29-2009 at 12:09. Reason: double post reminder
Arcade
Challenge djl in the Arcade!
Old 05-29-2009
DaFish Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
DaFish will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: transmission/primary fluid change??

Call me crazy but I am mystified why some use an engine lubricant in a gearbox or synthetic in the primary when conventional works just fine.

Ditto for me!

Shear forces in a tranny make the case for a gear oil IMHO.

DON'T use no stinkin motor oil in da tranny!

I also agree on the primary oil choice.

DaFish
Old 05-29-2009
twincruzen Offline
Has Developed Calluses In New Places
Seasoned Member

twincruzen is on a distinguished road

Agree. somewhat. I use full synthetic valvoline 75-90w in the in the trans. I posted this in his other post. My bike shifts better with it. There are alot of articles out the about dino vs synth oil. The debate will go on forever. The added cost is worth the peace of mind for me.
Old 05-30-2009
d_c_gopokes

I am new to the site and won't make the double-post mistake again. I appreciate everyone's responses. The owner's manual was lost by the first owner and I havn't replaced it yet. on my year dyna the transmission also houses the engine's oil reservoir, does this mean all my fluids are combined?? Or is the oil seperate and the transmission and primary fluids are the same?? thanks again
Old 05-30-2009
BoomerBob Offline
Ride Hard Ride Free
Supreme Member

BoomerBob will become famous soon enough

There are two plugs under there. One for trans and the other for engine. This is where the manual comes in handy 'cause I have to look every time. The one on the bottom of the pan is the trans plug and the one on the side of the pan is the engine oil plug.
Old 05-30-2009
05FLHRCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c_gopokes View Post
I am new to the site and won't make the double-post mistake again. I appreciate everyone's responses. The owner's manual was lost by the first owner and I havn't replaced it yet. on my year dyna the transmission also houses the engine's oil reservoir, does this mean all my fluids are combined?? Or is the oil seperate and the transmission and primary fluids are the same?? thanks again
Get a shop manual not the owners manual that comes with the bike
Old 05-30-2009
jshull4105

i just bought a street bob on may 1st, when i got ready to do my 1000 mile service i asked questions about oil also, i was goint to run all redline products, shockproof, atl, and 20-50. but i could not find any localy so i bought hd stuff off the dealer. i have ordered the redline and it is getting changed again at 5000 miles and being swiched out. the very first thing you should buy is the shop manuel for Ur dyna, it tells you how to take it completly apart and put it back together, if there is any specilty tool they suggest or seals ect it includes the part numbers. this is hands down my dyna bible!