Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Touring Models
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Touring Models Got one of those Lazy boys on wheels? Road King Custom, Road Glide, Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide or Road King Classic motorcycles? Here's your forum!

------------ ------------
Old 05-15-2009
palerider333 Offline
Forum Newbie Biker Type

My Mood:
palerider333 is on a distinguished road
final drive belt life expectancy

I`m at 57,000 miles on my 04 road king. Its been suggested that I change out the belt.now I hear from others that a pully change is wise as long as i`m in there....what is common mileage for these parts? thanks
Arcade
Challenge palerider333 in the Arcade!

Old 05-15-2009
nabubba* Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
nabubba* will become famous soon enoughnabubba* will become famous soon enough
Re: final drive belt life expectancy

If you are doing the work yourself take a look at the pulley for any unusual wear or cracks. If the pulley looks worn or has crakcs then replace it. If you are having a mechanic do the work ask them to check the pulley they will tell you if you need to replace it.
Old 05-15-2009
imrotton2 Online!
just passn thru
Supreme Member

My Mood:
imrotton2 is on a distinguished road

our eyes tend to play tricks on us,,, it would be great if you could lay hands on a new pulley ,just to compare them...
Old 05-15-2009
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider333 View Post
I`m at 57,000 miles on my 04 road king. Its been suggested that I change out the belt.now I hear from others that a pully change is wise as long as i`m in there....what is common mileage for these parts? thanks
Check the service manual for the "recommended" mileage for a belt change then inspect your belt for missing or partially missing teeth, cracks, etc. and if it looks like it needs changing, change it. If you change belts, change pulleys; a worn pulley will eat up a new belt much faster than a new pulley and, if this is a DIY project, not one you want to repeat any time soon.
Challenge djl in the Arcade!
Old 05-15-2009
mcrider1996 Offline
Has bugs in their teeth
Supreme Member

mcrider1996 will become famous soon enough

That was my winter project. Hubby and I did it ourselves. New belt and pulley. We wanted to just put a new chrome wheel on and while it was off noticed the belt looked bad and I have just under 50,000 miles on it. About every other tooth was about ready to come off. The whole project was a pain in the a** but we got er done.
Deb
Arcade
Challenge mcrider1996 in the Arcade!
Old 05-15-2009
Wanna ride Offline
Super Moderator
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Wanna ride has a spectacular aura aboutWanna ride has a spectacular aura aboutWanna ride has a spectacular aura about

For what it's worth, we replace the pulleys on our blower motor race engines when we replace the belts. I personally know that if I don't, we'll be replacing the belt again soon. The belt definitely lasts longer when mated to a new pulley. And like others said... you have to tear all the same stuff apart again anyway. So you can bet when I need to replace the belt on my bike, I'll have the new pulley in the garage too.

Just cheap insurance when you look at the big picture.
Old 05-15-2009
nabubba* Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
nabubba* will become famous soon enoughnabubba* will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
Check the service manual for the "recommended" mileage for a belt change then inspect your belt for missing or partially missing teeth, cracks, etc. and if it looks like it needs changing, change it. If you change belts, change pulleys; a worn pulley will eat up a new belt much faster than a new pulley and, if this is a DIY project, not one you want to repeat any time soon.

Just looked thru my manual again and it doesn't give a "recommended" milage to replace the belt. The only thing I found was to adjust it up to 50,000 miles but nothing about replacing.

Personally I inspect the belt everytime I was the bike and change the fluids. Now I don't wash it everyday but I do look at it regularly. I drive a truck for a living and I am in the habit of a pretrip inspection and that carries over to my bike and pickup.
Old 05-15-2009
BoomerBob Offline
Ride Hard Ride Free
Supreme Member

BoomerBob will become famous soon enough

Shouldn't both pulleys be changed at the same time?
Old 05-15-2009
adphotoman Offline
Harley Trash Wannabe

My Mood:
adphotoman is on a distinguished road

When I purchased my first new Harley I was a bit resistant to the idea of a drive belt. The salesman told me that the belts were "rated" at 100K miles. I intend on putting that claim to the test.
Old 05-15-2009
BoomerBob Offline
Ride Hard Ride Free
Supreme Member

BoomerBob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adphotoman View Post
When I purchased my first new Harley I was a bit resistant to the idea of a drive belt. The salesman told me that the belts were "rated" at 100K miles. I intend on putting that claim to the test.
I think you will find yourself on the side of the road at some point if you go much over 60k miles on one belt. I'm sure some people go that far though.