Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Engine Stuff
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Stuff Questions about all things engine related? Here's a place for all you gearheads to sit and discuss your favorite V-twin engine, what you liked or disliked, and improvements you've made.

------------ ------------
Old 04-15-2009
lulu52xxx Offline
Dedicated Bar Hopper/Poker Runner

My Mood:
lulu52xxx is on a distinguished road
s&s 510 cam spec

what are the spec on the s&s 510 cam. for 08 t/c

Old 04-16-2009
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about
Re: s&s 510 cam spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu52xxx View Post
what are the spec on the s&s 510 cam. for 08 t/c
intake timing 20/38
exhaust timing 52/20
intake duration 238*
exhaust duration 252*
intake lift .510"
exhaust lift .510"
int lift @TDC .187"
exh lift @T TDC .178"

This cam is designed to work with stock heads and mild compression, say less than 9.8:1. It will come on about 2800 rpm and hang in pretty good but don't expect much after about 4800 rpm.

If you are looking for low end grunt, there are better choices.
Challenge djl in the Arcade!
Old 04-18-2009
lulu52xxx Offline
Dedicated Bar Hopper/Poker Runner

My Mood:
lulu52xxx is on a distinguished road

say djl , i was just wondering , my friend has a 08 softail t/c 96 that he had s&s 510 g cams installed , high flow air cleaner , and exhaust . and one of those v&h fuel packs . he hates the 510s says theay make power too late , and have nothing at the bottom, and the pipes are turning blue , he also rides two up . i told him get rid of the fuel pack and get a p/c usb III . and some tw 26 hg cams . the 26 looks to make power 1800 to 5200 rpm , i know his rideing style that fits him to a T . and the intake valve closes at 35 abdc , and i think that would help him with his corrected compression , and give him better low end torque since he is running the stock topend, and has no plans to upgrade it. do you feel llike i sent him in the right direction? thanks!
Old 04-20-2009
Heritage Dru Offline
2-Wheel Traveler

Heritage Dru will become famous soon enough

That sounds about right for the 510 - it does come on a little later/higher than frequently used cams like the 203 or the 26. The 26 is a very good 2-up riding cam. He can save a few bucks and keep the fuelpak; no need to go to the PCIII.
Old 04-20-2009
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu52xxx View Post
say djl , i was just wondering , my friend has a 08 softail t/c 96 that he had s&s 510 g cams installed , high flow air cleaner , and exhaust . and one of those v&h fuel packs . he hates the 510s says theay make power too late , and have nothing at the bottom, and the pipes are turning blue , he also rides two up . i told him get rid of the fuel pack and get a p/c usb III . and some tw 26 hg cams . the 26 looks to make power 1800 to 5200 rpm , i know his rideing style that fits him to a T . and the intake valve closes at 35 abdc , and i think that would help him with his corrected compression , and give him better low end torque since he is running the stock topend, and has no plans to upgrade it. do you feel llike i sent him in the right direction? thanks!
Typical of the S&S 510; I try to steer guys away from that cam. You have sent him in the right direction but I would consider different cams for the two up riding, or sticking with the 510 but using a 4* advance gear. Right now, his corrected compression (assuming stock heads and gasket) is 8.4. He needs to get corrected compression up; a strong street build can handle corrected compression up to about 9.5; 9.0 is a very conservative target. There are two cams that will hie 8.6-8.7; the SE204 or the TW21; the SE204would be my choice, all other factors being equal but you can't get it in gear drive; so that leaves the TW21. I agree he doesn't need that USB but, if he can afford it, a tuner upgrade would be nice to have although I would go for the SERT over the PC. However, if he isn't planning any future upgrades, he can get by with the FuelPak. None of these cams will make TQ up to 5200 rpm; typically they will start to fall off about 4500 rpm without more compression. But if most of his riding is two up, he rides between 2500-3500 anyway.
Challenge djl in the Arcade!