Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Suspension
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suspension Questions about shocks, springs, forks etc? Here you will find questions and answers to many of the common questions involved with motorcycle suspension and mods.

------------ ------------
Old 02-11-2009
Mad Mike

How do I extend the front end?

Hi folks,
I want to extend the front end on my 05 softy std.. I was told there is an inexpensive way without cutting the neck and increasing the rake. The guy said there was somthing you add to the neck and then lower the tubes. I might not be remembering that right. The brain cells tend to go MIA somtimes.
Anyway, I'm aiming for the chopper look. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-11-2009
upinflames

Re: How do I extend the front end?

Try here for one...
http://www.mybadmotorscooter.com/forkextensions.html

To find more you can Google... "harley motorcycle fork extensions"

There are pros and cons to doing this procedure. You could always buy longer fork legs. Ebay has front fork kits for pretty cheap. Hope this helped
Old 02-11-2009
Mad Mike

Ok thanks.
Old 02-11-2009
ScreamingEag1e Offline
Morning Bad - Coffee Good

My Mood:
ScreamingEag1e is on a distinguished road

Look here.

http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4507

My Gallery
Old 02-11-2009
Graywolf Offline
Procrastinate Now!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Graywolf has a spectacular aura aboutGraywolf has a spectacular aura aboutGraywolf has a spectacular aura about

You can disassemble the forks and just add extended fork tubes without buying the whole front end. That is going to raise the front of the bike. Only way you can rake the front without cutting the fork neck is put raked triple tree on it. Might be OK for a slight rake, but you may run into some handling problems if you try to rake it too much at the tree.

Unregistered Mutant
I was sane once, but I'm better now.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 11-27-2012
MrClean43 Offline
Forum Newbie Biker Type

MrClean43 is on a distinguished road
Re: How do I extend the front end

I've got an 08 Electraglide and I'm thinking of extending the front end a bit, is that an expensive venture and should I have the front raked? Has anybody done that, does it look good?

Mr.Clean43
Old 11-27-2012
Wanna ride Online!
Super Moderator
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Wanna ride has a spectacular aura aboutWanna ride has a spectacular aura aboutWanna ride has a spectacular aura about
Re: How do I extend the front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean43 View Post
I've got an 08 Electraglide and I'm thinking of extending the front end a bit, is that an expensive venture and should I have the front raked? Has anybody done that, does it look good?

Mr.Clean43
Just so happens... I'm collecting parts for my '08 FLHX right now. I have the 7* trees, and lowering kit for the front, but probably will not cut the neck. I'm only going to run a 23" wheel. Don't really care for the 26" and 30" look.
Old 11-29-2012
twincruzen Offline
Has Developed Calluses In New Places
Seasoned Member

twincruzen is on a distinguished road

I been running seven degree trees with 3 degree neck cups and 6 over tubes. ~ 43 tube rake on a stock frame. The bike handles lighter. The top tree offset [smaller is better] and wheel size are important to keep true trail in safe limits.
Old 03-18-2013
MrClean43 Offline
Forum Newbie Biker Type

MrClean43 is on a distinguished road
Modify the front

An update, I found out I didn't have to put any rake on the bike if I stayed with the 21" wheel. I did that, added 14" apes and added some manly pipes. Really pleased with the outcome. pics later.