Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Motorcycle Technical Forums For all things technical and performance related, this is the place to ask your questions and provide tips and tricks.

------------ ------------
Old 02-07-2009
LadySioned Offline
Has Developed Calluses In New Places
Seasoned Member

My Mood:
LadySioned is on a distinguished road
Throttle sticking

So on my last couple of rides I noticed my throttle has started to stick.
Is this something I want to play with myself, or should I just take her in to the shop and let them look at it?
If it is something I can play with myself, any suggestions on where I should start looking?

It doesn't stick if I only give her a little gas... it's when I really get on the throttle that it will hang open. Not for long but long enough to cause me to worry.

Thanks gang!
LS

Old 02-07-2009
nabubba* Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
nabubba* will become famous soon enoughnabubba* will become famous soon enough
Re: Throttle sticking

Your throttle cables may need to be lubed a bit. Also take the air cleaner off the carb or throttle body and then twist the throttle (bike not running) and see if anything is catching at that point. To lube the cables you will need cable lube then take the switch housing off to expose the cables and then just spray the lube on the exposed cable let it flow a bit twist the throttle some and then button it back up. And take for a test ride to see if it is still sticking.
Old 02-07-2009
Graywolf Offline
Procrastinate Now!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Graywolf has a spectacular aura aboutGraywolf has a spectacular aura aboutGraywolf has a spectacular aura about

Look up under the switch housing and be sure the throttle lock is backed off.

Unregistered Mutant
I was sane once, but I'm better now.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 02-07-2009
Ogur 1%er Offline
Administrator
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Ogur 1%er is a glorious beacon of lightOgur 1%er is a glorious beacon of lightOgur 1%er is a glorious beacon of lightOgur 1%er is a glorious beacon of lightOgur 1%er is a glorious beacon of lightOgur 1%er is a glorious beacon of light

Stop riding it and take it to a shop!

Find the most awkward place to ride, hold the throttle wide open, put it in gear and dump the clutch. That's what it would be like, if you let this continue without professional help.

Your slide may be sticking in the carb, frayed throttle cable or the return.

Really though, think about the panic factor if this should stick in a hairy situation...

In your mind, picture the on/off switch on the handlebar, and flicking it with your thumb. Practice in real time on the bike, until it becomes second nature. Things get scary with a runaway Harley, loud pipes screaming in your ear and that wild horse jumping to get free. I've seen it.

"Better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six"

Knees In The Breeze
Old 02-07-2009
chamokie

I had a throttle stick on me long time ago, my first bike a 305 Honda, wasn't no way as powerful as a Harley, but it sure got my attention, especially with that stop sign coming at me. Even today I cycle the throttle linkage to be sure all is well prior to firing up time.
Old 02-08-2009
CBIslander

Check the cable routing for any binding from inside the grip to where they attach to the carb, the cables have to be lubed periodically so now is a good time, I wouldn't suggest riding until you can twist the throttle wide open and it snaps back with the bars turned left,right and centered.
The cable adjustments are at the elbow just below the throttle.
Lube the cables and then adjust them so the throttle will lift the slide to the top of the carb venturi, then adjust the return cable so when you let go of the grip it snaps back. You'll need 2 3/8 " spanners to do the adjustment, loosen the lock nut on the elbow and you can turn the sleeve in or out to make adjustments, when you've got it, tighten the lock nut and push the rubber boots back over them. Squirt a little lube under the boots, it makes it easy to slide em off and back on to the elbows. Leave a little bit of "play" in the hand grip.
Double check the throttle operation to make sure there is no binding or sticking before you ride it, let the bike idle and turn the bars full left and right to make sure you got it.
Old 02-08-2009
97-FXSTSB Offline
Site Admin
Supreme Member

My Mood:
97-FXSTSB is a jewel in the rough97-FXSTSB is a jewel in the rough97-FXSTSB is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeriderogur View Post
Stop riding it and take it to a shop!

Find the most awkward place to ride, hold the throttle wide open, put it in gear and dump the clutch. That's what it would be like, if you let this continue without professional help.

Your slide may be sticking in the carb, frayed throttle cable or the return.

Really though, think about the panic factor if this should stick in a hairy situation...

In your mind, picture the on/off switch on the handlebar, and flicking it with your thumb. Practice in real time on the bike, until it becomes second nature. Things get scary with a runaway Harley, loud pipes screaming in your ear and that wild horse jumping to get free. I've seen it.
Unless you are truly mechanically inclined and are totally familiar with everything that could cause a throttle to stick, I concur with Ogur.

MY PICS 1997 Bad Boy Edition Softail Springer
......................BLACK Is The New CHROME!......................

Arcade
Challenge 97-FXSTSB in the Arcade!
Old 02-08-2009
LadySioned Offline
Has Developed Calluses In New Places
Seasoned Member

My Mood:
LadySioned is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys... not that I've been riding the past few days anyway... hard to ride when you can barely get out of bed.

appreciate the info

Old 02-08-2009
G-MAN-01 Offline
Ride it like you stole it
Supreme Member

My Mood:
G-MAN-01 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Throttle sticking

I agree with Ogur and B too. Throttle, brakes and tires are some things you just don't need to take any chances with. My dad always told me anything with that much mass you can get moving, you want to be able to stop. "Murphy" and I go way back. Anything that can go wrong, probably will, usually at the at the worst possible time. Unless you are pretty familiar with the system, it's probably better to have a competent mechanic look at it.

G-MAN

Old 02-08-2009
djl Online!
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about

Don't disagree with the suggestions of taking it to a shop but would check it out and follow the advice given before taking it in. Easiest thing for a dealer will be to tell you that the cable needed replacing, whether it does or not. Not that I think any dealer would be less than forthcoming about the problem but some dealers do take advantage, particularly of the gentler sex; just a precautionary note.

check the throttle lock position
check cable routing for possible binding
lubricate with some Dri-Slide injected from the switch housing end

If these checks and lubricating doesn't solve the problem, take it in.
Challenge djl in the Arcade!