Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Engine Stuff
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Stuff Questions about all things engine related? Here's a place for all you gearheads to sit and discuss your favorite V-twin engine, what you liked or disliked, and improvements you've made.

------------ ------------
Old 01-09-2009
gjbndude

charging system on big twins

Hi

I have a 1975 FLH that has been modified 98 cui Shovelhead with a Rivera 6 speed tranny.
In doing the tranny it has a 3" open belt drive so I had to use a compu-fire stator rotor (89-99) designed for the 2 prong system. Well I wanted to use my OEM 4 prong stator and volt reg. And now the thing is not showing a charge.
Does anyone here know if the system I have put together will charge at all? Or do I need to go to the 2 prong (88-99) style system?
You may ask why didn't you just use the 2 prong system? The 4 prong system is a 15-22 amp system and the 2 prong is a 32-40 amp system. I only run a headlight and tail light and need to only charge a FX type and size battery. I did have a 2 prong (32 amp) system and it was constantly boiling my battery dry just overcharged it really bad. So I wanted to just use the system I needed and it happened to be stock.
But it might not work with the rotor I have.
Thanks in advance for any help, all comments are welcome.
Tom
Grand Junction CO USA

Old 01-09-2009
Ryno Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Ryno will become famous soon enoughRyno will become famous soon enough
Re: charging system on big twins

Welcome from Indiana. I am the last person to ask about electrical, but there are lots of great folks here, and I am certain someone will be able to help.

Ryno
Old 01-09-2009
gjbndude

Thanks Ryno,
I do hope some folks can help with this issue. I have had this old friend since 79 been thru allot together, glad sometimes it can't talk.
Tom
Old 01-09-2009
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbndude View Post
Hi

I have a 1975 FLH that has been modified 98 cui Shovelhead with a Rivera 6 speed tranny.
In doing the tranny it has a 3" open belt drive so I had to use a compu-fire stator rotor (89-99) designed for the 2 prong system. Well I wanted to use my OEM 4 prong stator and volt reg. And now the thing is not showing a charge.
Does anyone here know if the system I have put together will charge at all? Or do I need to go to the 2 prong (88-99) style system?
You may ask why didn't you just use the 2 prong system? The 4 prong system is a 15-22 amp system and the 2 prong is a 32-40 amp system. I only run a headlight and tail light and need to only charge a FX type and size battery. I did have a 2 prong (32 amp) system and it was constantly boiling my battery dry just overcharged it really bad. So I wanted to just use the system I needed and it happened to be stock.
But it might not work with the rotor I have.
Thanks in advance for any help, all comments are welcome.
Tom
Grand Junction CO USA
Electrical is not my long suit but I will take a crack at the problem. I do know that there are two rotors for the later model TC88s; 38 amp and 45 amp. Are you using one of those rotors? what stator?

If the battery was boiling over with the two prong system; why not upgrade the battery to a higher rated unit?
Challenge djl in the Arcade!
Old 01-10-2009
Jaystronghawk Online!
Gun Control= Not Missing
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Jaystronghawk is a jewel in the roughJaystronghawk is a jewel in the roughJaystronghawk is a jewel in the rough

Maybe off base here but seems to me your Voltage Regulator is not doing it's job..At least if boiling the Battery ..
Challenge Jaystronghawk in the Arcade!
Old 01-10-2009
gjbndude

Geetings all,

I am using a compu-fire 32-40 amp rotor 1889-99. and right now the stator thats bolted in the bike is the 4 prong 1970-1975 stator and regulator. Like I say, I don't know if it will work at all the way its set up. All the trouble shooting info I can find is on newer stuff and not the older stuff like my stator and reg. My Fluke miltimeter shows limited continuity between the poles on the stator, nothing to ground which would indicate the stator is OK. From what I have read and been told anyway. I then started the old girl up (man I like this electric start stuff) and checked the A/C output and found between 7 and 10 volts out of each of the 4 poles. I was told that as long as the total output added together is more than 16 volts its putting out enough but I am not sure thats reliable info.
So I replaced the reg and still no charge.
The magnets in the compu-fire 88-98 rotor are all together different than the stock 75 rotor magnets. Does this make a difference? There seems to be like 6 long magnets in the new and 16 bolted in the old.
The reason I wanted to initially stay with the older stator is it only is a 15-22 amp system and the newer stuff is 32-40 amps and its just way overkill and I think a major drag on the engine to use twice as much amperage as needed.
I had to go with the newer style rotor because it has spacers that can be removed or not installed to keep the engine pulley where it needed to be for alignement with the tranny.
As I think about it,you probably right, the reaon it was boiling my battery dry before was a faulty regulator as when I looked closly last night at it and I found a spot on one of the wires that was gounding to the motor.
I have 2 complete 4 prong or 1970-75 stator reg kits that are new. the one 2 prong or 88-98 stator reg is no good. I want to save $$ where I can but may need to buy a 2 pole or 88-98 stator reg set. I was just curious as the whether the magnet set ups in the rotor have all that much to do with it.
gjbndude

Last edited by gjbndude : 01-10-2009 at 09:12. Reason: mis spelling left some onfo out
Old 01-25-2009
CBIslander

The regulator is bad if you're boiling the battery, after the battery is fully charged the regulator should shunt the excess amperage to ground. Running the Evo alternator (32 amp) won't cause drag on the engine there will just be more amperage available to you(excess will be shunted to ground). I don't think the shovel stator and evo rotor are compatible, different amount and size of magnets in the rotors, and windings in the stators are different too, it's the size of the magnets and number of windings that determine the output(overall more surface area and magnetism in the evo rotor than in the shovel one, which could possibly cook the shovel stator)
I think you would be better off upgrading to the Evo style alternator.
I can get one of my buds '78 service manual and check alt specs, we're rewiring the bike,and putting an evo alternator in,last owner hacked it to death.