Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Performance Enhancements
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Performance Enhancements Questions on performance upgrades? Got a new performance upgrade you want to share? Maybe a nifty tip or trick to add?

------------ ------------
Old 04-08-2005
softail05

Post Jet Combo For Mikuni HSR 42

Hope you didn't open this to find the answer.

If anybody has this combo. What did you do to fine tune your carb.

Engine TC88B
Carb Mikuni HSR 42
Pipes Rinehart Staggered
Air Filter S/E
Altitude 500ft

Nothing else done to the bike.

Old 04-08-2005
softail05

I had this reply from another forum.

In Va, which is close to sea level I liked the 20 pilot jet and the stock main jet, with the needle clip halfway. The stock pilot jet, in the Mikuni is a 25 and is a bit rich.

Anybody else ?
Old 04-08-2005
Dyna Jim Offline
CC Big Kahuna/Janitor

Supreme Member

My Mood:
Dyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Here's my setup.

Stock pilot, 167.5 main needle moved down 2 notches. I have the python version of those pipes. But I have ported heads, 95 inch, 3/4 race cams ( I always wanted to use that ) etc etc....

It is a tad rich, but that's what made the best power....
DJ

ASE Certified: Master Engine Machinist, Tech & Chrome Pimp
Arcade
Challenge Dyna Jim in the Arcade!
Old 04-09-2005
Joker2U

Your right in the area. 20, or 17.5 on the slow, I prefer to set the needle clip up one from stock so it drops the needle down one slot. The stock pilot is too rich. The stock main should be fine.
Old 06-01-2006
mivinsfatboy

Re: Jet Combo For Mikuni HSR 42

I dropped from 50 to about 30 mpg when I installed the Mikuni on my T-Cam B fatboy. The increase in power was incredible. The exhaust was pretty black, so I installed the smaller pilot jet supplied with the kit and moved the needle up to the middle notch, now when I don't get too crazed I can get about 39 mpg and still have tons of HP. I was advised not to go with a smaller main jet as even $3.00 is a lot cheaper than skorching a piston. Stock cams with Ness air intake and Thunderheader exhaust.
Old 06-01-2006
Trainman

Re: Jet Combo For Mikuni HSR 42

My Mikuni seems to run great right out of the box...am I missing something here..

TC 88
SE 203's
SE Ignition module
SE a/c
V&H Oval slip-ons

Seems to go like a raped ape...runs smooth, no back firing....never dynoed or anything but like I said...no problems what so-ever...are you guys saying that I may get a little more out of it I play with the jets?