Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Engine Stuff
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Stuff Questions about all things engine related? Here's a place for all you gearheads to sit and discuss your favorite V-twin engine, what you liked or disliked, and improvements you've made.

------------ ------------
Old 09-25-2008
JimSixty

Twin Cam Engine removal

Replacing the engine in my 99 FLHCRI and I'm down to pulling the motor from the frame. Given the weight and tight fit, I'm thinking about making a jig that mounts to bolt holes for the top motor mount so I can use the auto engine hoist and won't have to try and hold the thing up while I wiggle it out of the frame. Is there a trick to getting the thing out easily or has anyone else built a jig to use an auto engine hoist?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2008
Ryno Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Ryno will become famous soon enoughRyno will become famous soon enough
Re: Twin Cam Engine removal

Welcome from Indiana. Never seen special tools, just seen 'em man handled.

Ryno
Old 09-26-2008
Horse Offline
Full of it.
Supreme Member

Horse has a spectacular aura aboutHorse has a spectacular aura aboutHorse has a spectacular aura about

making it too hard
make sure the left side is completely unbolted, lay it on it's left side, on a nice cushy blanket, unbolt it the rest of the way, pick the frame off the motor, wala.
Old 09-26-2008
djl Offline
Loose Doose
Supreme Member

My Mood:
djl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura aboutdjl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSixty View Post
Replacing the engine in my 99 FLHCRI and I'm down to pulling the motor from the frame. Given the weight and tight fit, I'm thinking about making a jig that mounts to bolt holes for the top motor mount so I can use the auto engine hoist and won't have to try and hold the thing up while I wiggle it out of the frame. Is there a trick to getting the thing out easily or has anyone else built a jig to use an auto engine hoist?

Thanks
Agree with Horse, you are over thinking this a bit. Follow the SM; detach upper and lower engine mounts, pull tranny bolts, disconnect all hoses, wiring, etc. If you are going to reuse your heads, primary and/or cams, go ahead and pull them; easier to do with engine in frame. If not, when ready, wrap a towel around the cyliners, the edges will cut. Bearhug, tilt and pull out from the exhaust side. If you don't have the SM, get one.
Challenge djl in the Arcade!
Old 09-26-2008
chamokie

Talking Re: Twin Cam Engine removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSixty View Post

Thanks
Dynamite works great.............
Old 09-27-2008
Graywolf Offline
Procrastinate Now!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Graywolf has a spectacular aura aboutGraywolf has a spectacular aura aboutGraywolf has a spectacular aura about

Just put a piece of 2x4 on the back side of the heads strap it with a ratchet strap. You can use an engine hoist on the ends of the 2x4 and slide it over on a block. You don't need to lift it, just take some of the weight off.

Unregistered Mutant
I was sane once, but I'm better now.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 09-27-2008
JimSixty

Thanks for all the input! Think I'll give the 2X4 option a try.

Shovelhead: The engine cam bearings decided to give up on a road trip. Decided to go with an '06 roller bearing version rather than lose the road time rebuilding the original. Once its out and apart I'll know if it's fixable or too much damage was done when the bearings scattered. I'll let you know if I decide to sell or keep.

Jim