Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Touring Models
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Touring Models Got one of those Lazy boys on wheels? Road King Custom, Road Glide, Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide or Road King Classic motorcycles? Here's your forum!

------------ ------------
Old 02-03-2008
yachtlink

Oil Change 2006 Road King

I have a 2006 Road King, no maunual, I want to change my oil, what is the best oil to use, how much oil goes in this model? or should I go by the book,
Thx

Old 02-03-2008
NIGHT TRAIN Offline
Road Dog
Supreme Member

My Mood:
NIGHT TRAIN is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil Change 2006 Road King

You definitely should get a manual...will make your life much easier...and there are as many different opinions on what oil to use, as there are members here...do a "search" on oil, and you won't believe how much info you'll get!
BTW, why not stop in at the New Member Spot, and introduce yourself?

NT/Denny
Old 02-03-2008
loosewheel

If your bike is an 06' with some miles on it, I would stick with whats aready been used. No matter how good the oil you go to is it might not mix well with whats already been used. The manual is invaluble, you've broke down for the big investment of the bike, Throw a few bucks down to protect it with a manual.
Old 02-03-2008
gatorggg

it will be the 5/8 nut front corner of oil pan not the allen
Old 02-03-2008
103 herritage

get the manual, then a nice cold beverage, then following the manual show someone else how to do it, while working on consuming your nice cold beer. use h/d 20w50 myself
Old 02-04-2008
Heritage Dru Offline
2-Wheel Traveler

Heritage Dru will become famous soon enough

HD doesn't make oil; they make motorcycles - which means they slap their logo on a bottle of oil someone else made for them. Well, like many things HD these days, their oil is about $$$ and not quality. You wouldn't by a motorcycle from quaker state or penzoil would you - don't buy oil from HD. Use Mobil 1 syn or Amsoil. Also, like the others said, get yourself a manual.

Here's one more useful tip. When you change your filter, get a piece of tin foil (cardboard works too, but not as well) and bend/curve it to make a chute out of it; then slip one end under your filter and the other over your oil receptacle - this will let any oil that comes out run off into your receptacle instead of all over your engine.
Old 02-04-2008
UltraFlame Offline
Nothing Stock - Super Moderator
Supreme Member

My Mood:
UltraFlame will become famous soon enoughUltraFlame will become famous soon enough

There are many good oils on the market. All of them seem to have good and bad supporters. Check out some of the threads from other members here by using the search thread, it may help you decide. If you change oil types though it is fairly easy to do a motor flush, but make sure you use the recommended grade lubricants in each of the holes. I also recommend getting a repair manual since you are looking to do some of your own work. Get with DJ here at Cycle Spot and I am sure he can get you the lubes to keep your bike right, and he can get you the manual for your bike also.

Also you should go to the New Member Spot so you get a chance to meet some of the other members when introducing yourself. You will also get some useful information on how to get around the site. Welcome by the way to Cycle Chat.

Old 02-04-2008
FLHTCUI2004

Yup, buy the service manual. I have switched to Amziol simply because the engine rattle became much quieter. And the oil seems to have much more "sticky" feel to it when you change it than the Harley brand of 20/50.

Probably any synthetic would be a good choice. Haven't tried any other brand.

Have fun. . be careful when tightening the drain bolt. . . strip easier than a fellow thinks. . .
Old 02-05-2008
tularockstar

I am biased toward synthetic too! Been using it for many years with great results! Plus, it also helps extend your oil change interval somewhat.
Old 02-05-2008
CincyJim Offline
Seasoned Biker
Seasoned Member

My Mood:
CincyJim is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to the Amsoil comparisons, hope it helps.

synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_articles
If you can read this in English, Thank a Vet!
Arcade
Challenge CincyJim in the Arcade!