Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Performance Enhancements
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Performance Enhancements Questions on performance upgrades? Got a new performance upgrade you want to share? Maybe a nifty tip or trick to add?

------------ ------------
Old 01-18-2008
road warrior Offline
Can Wear a Seat out, just by looking at it.
Seasoned Member

road warrior is on a distinguished road
roller rocker vs. stock rocker arms

I am about ready to bust the motor open and try to get more Hp out of the fatboy. Is there enough advantage to justify the extra money to install roller rocker arms instead of stock rocker arms?

Old 01-18-2008
Dyna Jim Offline
CC Big Kahuna/Janitor

Supreme Member

My Mood:
Dyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: roller rocker vs. stock rocker arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by road warrior View Post
I am about ready to bust the motor open and try to get more Hp out of the fatboy. Is there enough advantage to justify the extra money to install roller rocker arms instead of stock rocker arms?
If you have a high lift cam, or real stiff springs yea (rollers aid in rocker ratio accuracy, and lessen friction of metal rubbing on metal).

Stock though, all you'll achieve is adding noise. She'll rattle like a busted sewing machine in the rocker covers with rollers.

DJ

ASE Certified: Master Engine Machinist, Tech & Chrome Pimp
Arcade
Challenge Dyna Jim in the Arcade!
Old 01-18-2008
road warrior Offline
Can Wear a Seat out, just by looking at it.
Seasoned Member

road warrior is on a distinguished road
Re: roller rocker vs. stock rocker arms

That should work for me. Thanks
Old 01-22-2008
FLSTCI124ci

[quote=She'll rattle like a busted sewing machine in the rocker covers with rollers.DJ[/QUOTE]

Your not kidding. I hear my rollers at stops / low-speeds and they sound just like something is fixing to fly apart!

So much so that I pulled my covers just to make sure. All good!
Old 05-03-2008
mkbeav12

I have a 2007 FLHT with a 103 built by Ben at Knoxville Harley in Tennessee and it took me a long time to get used to the noise from the roller rockers but now I just turn up the radio and let it eat. Ben build about the best motor I have ever known of.
Old 07-04-2010
geezerglider69

Hearing a strange noise that appears to be coming from the top end on my '94 evo. sounds like marbles in a can and does not occur at idle. As throttle is applied up to about 2000 rpm the noise is evident and you can feel vibration. Recently changed to Jims' lifter blocks, S&S hi performance oil pump, S&S roller rockers, new Competition Cams V-thunder engine stabilizers, complete new swingarm bushings and Compu-Fire 40 Amp rotor and stator.

Pulled rockers apart, found nothing, puller heads off and checked valves, nothing wrong, pulled alternator apart and re-shimmed everything to specs. Can't find anything wrong. May try reinstalling stock rockers, then stock lifter blocks, then stock alternator until I can find reason for problem.

Engine ruins great, feels strong, starts easily and idles nice. But the noise bothers me as I have had this bike for a long time and driven it for over 50K trouble free miles. Changed out cylinders, pistons and heads to S&S Superstock a while back and ran great with no noise until I did work as described in 1st paragraph above. Am really puzzled? Any ideas.
Old 07-04-2010
rednectum

check rocker arm to rocker top clearance.check retainer to rocker. check rocker arm to rocker support.pushrod rubbing tube? did you use adjustable pushrods???????????? also, were the rockers stock ratio?

remember this. no benefit to using rollers on short cams.