Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > V-Twin Exhaust Systems
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

V-Twin Exhaust Systems Questions or comments about exhaust for your motorcycle? Want to know about that great new set of pipes that just came out? This is the place to diiscuss all things to do with exhaust.

------------ ------------
Old 01-18-2008
schnell08

big radius vs big shot staggered

2008 fatboy. Just doing a little research here.Performance wise which one is better. big radius or b/s staggered? thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 01-18-2008
06NightTrain44

Re: big radius vs big shot staggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell08 View Post
2008 fatboy. Just doing a little research here.Performance wise which one is better. big radius or b/s staggered? thanks in advance for any advice.
Staggered should be a little better due to physical design. In reality--some feel the headers are too big for a stock engine. I'm inclined to believe that, seems like smaller diameter headers or stock headers w/ slip-on make as good, if not better, power.
Old 01-18-2008
BaggerBum Offline
Has bugs in their teeth
Supreme Member

BaggerBum has a spectacular aura aboutBaggerBum has a spectacular aura aboutBaggerBum has a spectacular aura about

I put the BSS on my 07 deuce, with the intention of further engine mods, maybe a 103 kit and some good cams, when the warranty nears it's end and the budget allows. Plus I just liked the lines of a straight pipe better, but thats me. I found them too loud for long rides and put in the quit baffels. I get comments on the good sound and they cut what I thought was a mid range cackle that annoyed me. But I have hearing problems to begin with and am sensitive to loud noise, in certin decible ranges. Constant ringing (and voices!) in my ears. I have not had it dyno'd but it seem to run just as strong with the quite baffels as the standard ones.
Old 02-01-2008
Ragencane

Hey Jake,
Are you running the pcIII? And if you are did you have to remap when you switched to the quiet baffles. Im thinking of making the switch myself.
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008
MAGIC

It seems the quiet baffles are making more tq and hp than wide open pipes. I switched to the VH BR 2/1's from the 2/2's. My top end hp dropped a few but the low end and mid range came roaring on. Was weak running the loud BR 2/2, now the quiet baffles are easy on the ears if you want them to be but will still howl when whipped.
magic
Old 02-02-2008
BaggerBum Offline
Has bugs in their teeth
Supreme Member

BaggerBum has a spectacular aura aboutBaggerBum has a spectacular aura aboutBaggerBum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragencane View Post
Hey Jake,
Are you running the pcIII? And if you are did you have to remap when you switched to the quiet baffles. Im thinking of making the switch myself.
Thanks.
I put in the SERT because I will be doing engine mods in the future. I understand the pciii will limit what you can do as far as mods go. I had the dealer install the pipes, air cleaner and SERT. No dyno, they had the code for the components used. I bought the baffels here from Cyclespot. Once you find them, scroll to the bottom of the page, DJ did a test on the power and torque and explains the results, about what Jon said above. Low and mid end is torquey.

I got mixed reactions about remapping with the quite baffels. Some told me it was not needed. Riding it the power was OK, but I did get increased popping on deceleration. I swung by the dealer one afternoon and asked the tech, he said he had a code for them, in a bit I was off and running, no popping. So, no, I run the SERT, but think it would not hurt to remap your PCIII if there is one out there, without dyno tuning.

BTW, I never dyno'd my bike, that will come to get baseline numbers when I get a plan together for the engine mods, probably next winter as my warranty comes to the end and bike fund gets a bit more robust.
Old 02-02-2008
icemannn

Go with the Big Shot Staggered , they are nice pipe !!! I used them on my NT
Old 02-02-2008
AMMO461Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake & Ellwood View Post
I put the BSS on my 07 deuce, with the intention of further engine mods, maybe a 103 kit and some good cams, when the warranty nears it's end and the budget allows. Plus I just liked the lines of a straight pipe better, but thats me. I found them too loud for long rides and put in the quit baffels. I get comments on the good sound and they cut what I thought was a mid range cackle that annoyed me. But I have hearing problems to begin with and am sensitive to loud noise, in certin decible ranges. Constant ringing (and voices!) in my ears. I have not had it dyno'd but it seem to run just as strong with the quite baffels as the standard ones.
Ahhhh, the voices. That is what keeps me sane. If I didn't have them, who would talk to me?
Old 02-02-2008
Ragencane

Jake,
Thanks for the info. Just trying to decide if I want to change the baffles. I really like the deeper rumble that comes with quiet baffles.