Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Do It Yourself
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself Here's the spot for backyard how-to's and any other kind of neat motorcycle related gizmo you may have created.

------------ ------------
Old 12-31-2007
myshorts

align engine, transmission with rear wheel...HELP

trying to align all three up to stop the belt jumping the pulleys. How do I get all three of these to line up? Any special tools needed?

Sorry, guys.. I type for my husband and don't understand what I'm typing but please help. He's a mechanic not very computer savvy.

Old 12-31-2007
myshorts

Re: align engine, transmission with rear wheel...HELP

It won't let me edit. Keeps trying to give me a quote.

Anyway, this is on a softtail.
Old 12-31-2007
RAIDER Offline
Being PC is for Wimps
Supreme Member

My Mood:
RAIDER is on a distinguished road

OK, understand that I am shooting in the dark here. First, do you have a HD shop manual for your Softail? The alienment should be pretty straight forward. The mounting of the rear wheel on the other hand could be the problem. I would first check the tension of the drive belt. After that check the alienment of the rear wheel. This is very easy to adjust with the tension screws on both sides of the wheel. The shop manual gives good examples of these steps. I'm sorry that I couldn't come up with more. I'm sure that others on this site will come forward with more suggestions. Good luck!!

Anybody with money can buy it.
It's more fun to build it!!

MY GALLERY USMC 1986 - 1993 SEMPER FI
Arcade
Challenge RAIDER in the Arcade!
Old 12-31-2007
myshorts

the front pulley and the rear pulley are off by about 1/2 inch. We tried that already. It's kinda like the motor( and so the trans also) need to be moved over a half inch. Can't shim the wheel the other way any more to match it up. There's gotta be a better way.
Old 12-31-2007
Furcifer Offline
SUPER Moder-A-TOR!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Furcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really nice

What was done to the bike before? Tire change? Engine removed? New project? I'd check the installation of the front pulley, motor mounts, rear axle/rear pulley assembly etc., depending on what was done.

"Gunfighting is one part technique and three parts attitude. It is the man, rather than the gun, that matters." -Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.(ret.), Founder, IPSC
Arcade
Challenge Furcifer in the Arcade!
Old 12-31-2007
myshorts

everything was taken out to powdercoat the frame. but there are certain holes that the engine and trans go into to bolt up. So how could they be off by that much unless they always were?
Old 12-31-2007
Furcifer Offline
SUPER Moder-A-TOR!
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Furcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really niceFurcifer is just really nice

Or if it's not the same frame... If it is, then something's turned around somewhere. Unlikely that the holes moved, so gotta recheck reassembly. Gotta be frustrating, I know. Good luck!

"Gunfighting is one part technique and three parts attitude. It is the man, rather than the gun, that matters." -Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.(ret.), Founder, IPSC
Arcade
Challenge Furcifer in the Arcade!
Old 12-31-2007
Hitman Offline
OWNER/ADMIN
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Hitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really niceHitman is just really nice
Question Re: align engine, transmission with rear wheel...HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshorts View Post
everything was taken out to powdercoat the frame. but there are certain holes that the engine and trans go into to bolt up. So how could they be off by that much unless they always were?
Just a shot. Did you remove the powder coat around the mounting holes?

Should be down to bare metal. Buildup around the holes might be throwing everything off.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY HEROES

NRA PATRON MEMBER

Arcade
Challenge Hitman in the Arcade!
Old 01-01-2008
Huntin Harley Scalpes

Tranny mount could be 180 out,BUT that would also make the primary off.
Old 01-12-2008
Harley Dude Offline
Fat Boy Coming Through !
Seasoned Member

My Mood:
Harley Dude is on a distinguished road

Just wondered whether you have sorted the alignment, just a thought, are the wheel spacers in correctly. Have the powder coaters given you an exchange transmission mount so you have ended up with the wrong one for the job.
Worth checking out before you loose your temper and bash it, tee hee !

MY GALLERY