Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Dyna's
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dyna's Spring loaded, rubber mounted. Whether it's a Super Glide to a Wide Glide, find all things Dyna here.

------------ ------------
Old 11-27-2007
pup_usmvmc

Talking engine noise, twin cam noise

i am wondering i own an '02 fxdwg and have got this noise comming from either the cam area or the primary side. i have spoken to one of the local h.d. dealerships and they told me that the cam shoes had a 20k-40k life span i have 35k on mine now. looked at the shoes and they looked fine. i notice the noise mainly at start up. can any one help????

Old 11-27-2007
Frain 05 Offline
Forum Newbie Biker Type

Frain 05 is on a distinguished road
Re: engine noise, twin cam noise

Pup
Have you checked the "inner cam tensioner"?? Have to pull the cam plate to see it but it could be worn!

Mike
Arcade
Challenge Frain 05 in the Arcade!
Old 12-03-2007
pup_usmvmc

looked at inner slightly but have not pulled out to look at inner closely. thanks for responding.
pup
Old 12-03-2007
Dyna Jim Offline
CC Big Kahuna/Janitor

Supreme Member

My Mood:
Dyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond reputeDyna Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: engine noise, twin cam noise

2003 was the first year of the new cam shoe material, I'd tear her down for a good look.
While you're in there make sure and have the oil pump inspected, I've seen pre-mature failure on the pump in the earlier TC 88's as well.

DJ

ASE Certified: Master Engine Machinist, Tech & Chrome Pimp
Arcade
Challenge Dyna Jim in the Arcade!
Old 12-03-2007
pup_usmvmc

thanks man i will look at it during teardown month.
Old 12-05-2007
HD-Rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup_usmvmc View Post
i am wondering i own an '02 fxdwg and have got this noise comming from either the cam area or the primary side........ i notice the noise mainly at start up. can any one help????
Also, there was an issue with compensator sprockets. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one, but at start up was when the noise could be heard....
Old 12-11-2007
smokinjoe

Check Compensator Sprocket. My Bud had one come lose on a dyno run. I was there at the time. Made a heck of a lot of noise. Locktight is a beautiful thing.
Old 12-20-2007
wideglidemike

Hey all

Yeh I've heard some noise coming from the top of my motor too, sort of a sound that reminds me of a sewing maching type....of course I notice it more if I'm wearing my half helmet..
Old 12-20-2007
Heritage Dru Offline
2-Wheel Traveler

Heritage Dru will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideglidemike View Post
Hey all

Yeh I've heard some noise coming from the top of my motor too, sort of a sound that reminds me of a sewing maching type....of course I notice it more if I'm wearing my half helmet..
That's a normal (OK) sound, it's the lifters. My 05 Heritage Classic sounds like a sewing machine gone mad!! I'm so used to it I don't even notice unless I listen for it.
Old 08-19-2008
LoneBiker

Question Re: engine noise, twin cam noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Dru View Post
That's a normal (OK) sound, it's the lifters. My 05 Heritage Classic sounds like a sewing machine gone mad!! I'm so used to it I don't even notice unless I listen for it.
Heh Bros! I've got the same problem. 2001 Softail with only 15,000 miles. Sounds kinda like a whirring noise. No clunking noises, just high speed whirring. Thought it was in my primary case at first. Checked there and added a little oil, still noisy. Maybe need to adjust the primary chain or look for loose nut. Besides the one behind the handlebars. Only thing is that it seems like it just started recently or I just started noticing it recently and I do wear a half helmet more often than not. I'm heading for my garage now and doing the homemade stethascope trick to see what's up. Gotta Rally to go to this weekend and don't wanna go naked (without my ride)! Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!