Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Touring Models
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Touring Models Got one of those Lazy boys on wheels? Road King Custom, Road Glide, Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide or Road King Classic motorcycles? Here's your forum!

------------ ------------
Old 08-07-2007
Vinman999

Angry 2007 6 Speed - Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit

I have 3423 miles on my 2007 Road King, and hate the transmission noise. If you have a 6 Speed that clatters in 5th gear like mine does and want to know what Harley-Davidson is doing about it, for the 2008 models, they have standardized with the below listed Kit. The cost is $305.00 plus labor (1-2 hours). Harley Davidson will not pay for this Kit for any of us 2007 owners. I just spoke to their Customer Service Center and they were adamant about not paying for it because it is not a mechanical problem. They are saying it is a noise and that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the transmission. The following information about this 2008 upgrade is on Harley's web-site. You can view the components that they are using to dampen the noise.

I think it's a really bad deal that 2007 6-speed owners have to pay to take care of the problem.

PART NUMBER 40287-07 Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit.

Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit

Introduced on the '08 Touring models, the Isolated Drive System improves rider comfort and ride quality by dampening the mechanical noise and vibration caused by the engine's torque pulses. The rubber compensation elements in the sprocket act like a cushion, absorbing the power pulses from the engine. With the IDS installed, the motorcycle feels more refined, and is quieter while accelerating, shifting and cruising. Kit includes sprocket, compensator bowl, and installation hardware.

40287-07

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '07 Touring (except Japanese) models equipped with Original Equipment and Harley-Davidson® accessory wheels. Will not fit with 80-Spoke Laced Wheel P/N 42954-04, Polished Spun Aluminum Disc Wheel P/N 43760-03 or Slotted Six Spoke Wheel P/N 43932-02 (chrome) or 43933-02 (black).

MSRP US $305.00

Old 08-07-2007
streetglide07

Re: 2007 6 Speed - Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit

Ohhhhhh, It's a DRIVE sprocket! I apologize for my eroneous statement that it was the compensator. Hell anybody can install a sprocket. Jap bikes have had rubber damped rear sprockets for years. Thanks for the information!
Old 08-07-2007
streetglide07

Woah, hold on a minute. This obviously won't do a thing for the noisey 5th gear. And when you think about it how much can it damp things, I thought the belt drive would do that pretty well, as compared to a chain. I guess I need to ride an '08 and see for myself.
Old 08-09-2007
DaBishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglide07 View Post
Woah, hold on a minute. This obviously won't do a thing for the noisey 5th gear. And when you think about it how much can it damp things, I thought the belt drive would do that pretty well, as compared to a chain. I guess I need to ride an '08 and see for myself.
I agree with streetglide07. I don't see what one has to do with the other.
But, I would certainly like to know what you find out. Let us know what you think once you get a chance to test an '08.
Old 08-09-2007
flyinlow1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman999 View Post
I have 3423 miles on my 2007 Road King, and hate the transmission noise. If you have a 6 Speed that clatters in 5th gear like mine does and want to know what Harley-Davidson is doing about it, for the 2008 models, they have standardized with the below listed Kit. The cost is $305.00 plus labor (1-2 hours). Harley Davidson will not pay for this Kit for any of us 2007 owners. I just spoke to their Customer Service Center and they were adamant about not paying for it because it is not a mechanical problem. They are saying it is a noise and that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the transmission. The following information about this 2008 upgrade is on Harley's web-site. You can view the components that they are using to dampen the noise.

I think it's a really bad deal that 2007 6-speed owners have to pay to take care of the problem.

PART NUMBER 40287-07 Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit.

Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit

Introduced on the '08 Touring models, the Isolated Drive System improves rider comfort and ride quality by dampening the mechanical noise and vibration caused by the engine's torque pulses. The rubber compensation elements in the sprocket act like a cushion, absorbing the power pulses from the engine. With the IDS installed, the motorcycle feels more refined, and is quieter while accelerating, shifting and cruising. Kit includes sprocket, compensator bowl, and installation hardware.

40287-07

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '07 Touring (except Japanese) models equipped with Original Equipment and Harley-Davidson® accessory wheels. Will not fit with 80-Spoke Laced Wheel P/N 42954-04, Polished Spun Aluminum Disc Wheel P/N 43760-03 or Slotted Six Spoke Wheel P/N 43932-02 (chrome) or 43933-02 (black).

MSRP US $305.00
I agree brother..My rattles at 78mph in 6th gear!!! I started a claim at 500 miles..A regional factory rep rode my bike and said , "Your bike is f**ked up".. And at the time didn't know what the fix is..Now there's a fix and I have to shell out my $$ for their warranty work..B******t!!!! This is wrong..I'll probably have to buy it,install it myself, because I wouldn't let their wrenchs work on my lawnmower...I started the blog " biggest mistake" ... I'll keep watchin' here...
Old 08-10-2007
streetglide07

Flyinlow, I'm pretty sure you have read my other posts about my bikes 5th and 6th gear rattle. Winchesters demo/loaner does the same, anywere between 60 and 90 in 6th, you simply can't get around it! Again the 5th gear whine is annoying but acceptable, the rattle in either 5th or 6th is simply too much.
I'm riding to Winchester tomorrow to speak to the tech who worked on my bike. I repeat that I'm still not sure what he did, but my bike is now a sweetheart! Yeah, 5th still howls when running next to another vehicle, but the rattle is completely gone, at any engine speed. It's been 500 miles and it's still silent!
Maybe the IDS will smooth things out even more. I'm gonna see what it does tomorrow, as I'm taking whatever '08 touring model they've got as a demo out for a run. Then maybe over the winter the Baker F6F will solve things once and for all!!! As for your bike I really think it can be fixed...by the right dealer. These bikes are pretty simple machines, it's absolute crap that they have to rattle like mine did and yours is doing!
Old 08-17-2007
Vinman999

Exclamation Re: 2007 6 Speed - Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit

Yesterday, my dealer called advising me that they received the Sprocket Kit I ordered. There are 6 rubber inserts that go inside the new drive sprocket, a new shaft bearing, spacer washers and 5 new sprocket bolts. I am going to install this on my Bike after I ride a 08 Road King Classic tomorrow and see if there is an improvement in 5th & 6th gear. I almost can tolerate the whine in 5th gear. It's the vibration/clatter in 5th & 6th that makes me want my 2000 R.K. Classic back again.
Old 08-17-2007
williabl2003

I have an 07 electra glide. I like my 07, but lord al mighty how much money does a fellow have to spend (above the purchase price) to get it right? With the heat issues and the noisy 5th gear! I think it really stinks how Harley is handling these issues. I like to think if we are patient they will help us out. I'm certain if they don't it will come back to bite them on their back sides in the near future.
Old 08-22-2007
Vinman999

Exclamation Re: 2007 6 Speed - Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit

I rode a 2008 Road King Classic over the weekend. It is definitely quieter all through the gears than my 2007. You can still hear the difference in 5th compared to 2nd,3rd,4th & 6th. But it's a whole lot better. The Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit is standard on the 2008 Touring models. I am going to install one and continue to call the H/D Customer Service and insist that they pay for it. They have been telling me NO!!! I will continue trying to get them to belly up.

My Dealer just found the vibration above 55 mph that I have had since day one. Turns out to be a bad weld in the Front Spoke Wheel. The Wheel was true side to side but not up and down. They tell me that it is actually out of round. They also found a bulge on the curb side of the front tire. They are replacing both with new. I should have it back for the weekend. When I ride it, I'll be able to tell if it's finally correct.
Old 09-07-2007
doggiedave

Smile Re: 2007 6 Speed - Isolated Drive System Sprocket Kit

I had the IDS installed about 1000 miles ago works like a champ NO CLATTER less whine in 5th worthy investment!!!