Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Touring Models
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Touring Models Got one of those Lazy boys on wheels? Road King Custom, Road Glide, Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide or Road King Classic motorcycles? Here's your forum!

------------ ------------
Old 06-24-2007
Pacifictime Offline
Active but lazy

Pacifictime is on a distinguished road
Dunlop PT Touring Tire

Does anyone know anything about the Dunlop PT Touring tire? I've heard it called a "Cop" tire as some agencies are using it. It is a run flat tire with an extra piece of rubber that apparently acts as a bead lock. I put just under 12,000 miles on one on the rear while I had a standard Dunlop on the front. The handling was a little spooky, as the front seemed to want to push. I just replaced both tires with PT's and handling is very nice (moral of the story is to keep both tires the same).

Anyway I know the dealers don't like putting them on and try to discourage you getting them. They say they are not speed rated and not recommended for two up riding. I like them and think that the cops must use them for a reason.

Anybody got any facts?
Arcade
Challenge Pacifictime in the Arcade!

Old 06-24-2007
Pacifictime Offline
Active but lazy

Re: Dunlop PT Touring Tire

I think the tire is a D402.
Arcade
Old 06-25-2007
Prospector23

The D-402 is the stock tire for Harley baggers. Since I'll be needing 2 new tires when I return from my cross-continent trip in July, I tried to find the PT tires on Dunlop's website, but couldn't.

Could it be that they're not Dunlops?
Old 06-25-2007
Pacifictime Offline
Active but lazy

I've been doing a little more research and I may be confusing the tire with the 402P which is the Police model. I'm finding that it is a "blowout proof" tire but not for two up touring. The tires that came on the bike did not have the lip at the rim of the wheel. These tires are beefier than the tires that came on the bike when new, and one thing I know is that two dealers tried to steer me away from them, I think they may be harder to put on that the others. These have a much stiffer sidewall.

I sent Dunlop an email asking if these are run flat tires or what and havent recieved an answer yet. I'll pass it along when I hear from them. It looks like these tires have a fairly high load limit and are H rated (130mph).

The Dunlop Catalong site is:
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...egory.asp?id=2
Arcade
Old 06-25-2007
Prospector23

Pacifictime, I found this thread on another chat site, and I think it pretty well explains everything. I'm either sticking with the regular D402, or going to try out a set of Metzler ME880s when the time comes. I'd still be interested in what Dunlop has to say, but will be surprised if it's any different, since they've got this "dual-branded" thing going with Harley.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ar...hp/t-3231.html

Raptor
Old 06-25-2007
Pacifictime Offline
Active but lazy

Thanks Prospector, I think I'm getting it straight now. Talking to the service dept at a dealership is a lot like seeing a doctor, you better do some homework so you know as much about your problem as the doctor, because he dosen't have time to do the research. They tell/sell you what they know and its on to the next patient.

When and if I hear from Dunlop I'll pass it on. And thanks for the link.
Arcade
Old 07-11-2007
Pacifictime Offline
Active but lazy

I heard from Dunlop and while they were not really helpful, I've got the word. The D402 PT is intended for police work, it is not for two up riding. The side wall construction is different. The load rating is lower and the tire is not a run flat tire. This is from the Dunlop rep (1-800-765-3532).

The guy was not very helpful as to why the tire is not for two up riding just that its not. He says the tire should not be used for "civilian" use. Sounded like he might have been reading the script from Dunlop literature.

Anyway I used one set of PT's up, 12K miles, and now I just put an other set on, believing I was puting on a safer tire (rightly or wrongly). So I'm going to use these up and then probably switch to the regular D402's.
Arcade
Old 07-15-2008
saccook1956

I have a police Electraglide and am a BIG fan of the Police run flats. I have had two blowouts at 70MPH and have not crashed as a result. The rear tire stayed on the rim, and didn't cause me to lose control. It is true, you cannot ride two up.....if you do, and the tire goes...you die.....

I don't carry passengers...that is for Taxi cabs!

Last edited by saccook1956 : 07-15-2008 at 03:23. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2008
Adam Offline
Has bugs in their teeth
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Adam is on a distinguished road

I had the cop tyres standard when I got my police bike. Harley recommends that you change the rear for a normal tyre if you want to carry a passenger. I did some research as it sounds to me that Harley are just trying to make even more money out of you and it turns out that it really depends on how heavy your passenger is and if you want to load the bike up. Logically the amount of weight the police bikes carry e.g. radios, aux batterys, top box, strobe control unit, radars, donuts and usually a bit fat cop, it all adds up to about the same weight as a pillion.

However it is true that the tyre walls are not as thick as a civilian tyre and you can get into trouble when the tyre heats up through use. I personally went for a nice Avon Venom rear tyre when my police one got low on tread, I wasn't going to buy a Harley tyre because although they last forever, they are hard, square and when it rains you may as well be riding on slicks.
Old 08-01-2008
Pacifictime Offline
Active but lazy

I have learned quite a bit since I started this thread. One thing I would not do is mix the police tire with another tire. I did this and the handling was not good. I have been using the police tires and find they wear well, handle well and have been no problem. I have done several long trips in very hot weather, fully loaded with no trouble. I'm going to keep using them.
Arcade