Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Motorcycle Technical Forums > Lube Rack
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Lube Rack Questions about oils, gear lubes? Got a great new oil or lubricant you want everyone to know about? How about open discussions on synthetic oils vs. dino?

------------ ------------
Old 06-19-2007
Cephas26

Talking 2002 Deuce Oil Change

Need a little advice...
Got a buddy with a 2002 Deuce... He has never changed the oil, it still has the oil in it from the factory... NOW, before you all freak out, he also only has 600 miles on it... I didn't believe him either, but it is true.

He wants me to change all 3 holes for him, so my question is... should I change all 3 with regular oil (and filter of course) and let him run it for a few hundred miles to somewhat flush the system... then change it again to synthetic???

Or just change everything to synthetic now and go from there with regular service.

I'm not that familiar with the life expectancy of regular HD oil.

Thanks everyone and keep up the great site.

Old 06-19-2007
Padre341

Re: 2002 Deuce Oil Change

I wouldn't put in synthetic until it is broken in good. Change them all and at 1000 make a decision about the synthetic. That should be about the year 2010 or 2011 at the rate it's going now.
Old 06-21-2007
Cephas26

Should we at least change the filter??? It is 5 years old and I don't know how well the actual filter (inside) will hold up.
Old 06-22-2007
Kong-of-WV

Oil that hasn't been contaminated, primarily by water, doesn't go bad just because of time; notice that you see any shelf-life date on the cans in the stores.

You could just run it like it was new and change the juices on a regular schedule. Having said that though I should tell you that on any new vehicle engine I change the oil and filter(s) at the 500 mile mark. You will get more engine wear in that first 500 miles than you will get in the next 5,000. Get the initial 'get-acquainted' metal scrapings out of there at the 500 (or 600 as the case may be) mile-mark and the rest of the engine's life will go much better - at least that is my belief. On this one I'll keep doing it my way even if someone proves me wrong.
Old 02-19-2008
Cephas26

Well guys... we're getting close... my buddy got his bike out and he is actually going to ride it this weekend... Only about a 600 mile trip this weekend but that will almost double the miles on the bike!!!!

He's up to 900 miles... is that close enough for a break-in period??? The fluids in all 3 holes has been in there since 2002 and IMO, it just doesn't look good... I checked the oil and there appeared to be a lot of dirt and crap in or around the filler neck and cap... and the tranny doesn't even register on the dipstick!!!

I guess my question is, is it too early to change the fluids??? Was going to put synthetic 20/50 in the engine and primary and I have a qt. of Redline Shockproof I was going to put in the tranny.

Any opinions are welcome!!!
Old 02-19-2008
Jaystronghawk Offline
Gun Control= Not Missing
Supreme Member

My Mood:
Jaystronghawk is a jewel in the roughJaystronghawk is a jewel in the roughJaystronghawk is a jewel in the rough

Personally I think a change to Synthetic at 900 should be okay .. But read them all and maybe get other opinions as well.. 500 miles after my Big Bore Change switched to Amsoil 20W50 but then again the Bike itself had over 5,000 miles on it. But now has close to 10,000 and doesn't use a drop between changes ( every 2,000 for me )
Challenge Jaystronghawk in the Arcade!
Old 02-19-2008
DaFish Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
DaFish will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: 2002 Deuce Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas26 View Post
Well guys... we're getting close... my buddy got his bike out and he is actually going to ride it this weekend... Only about a 600 mile trip this weekend but that will almost double the miles on the bike!!!!

He's up to 900 miles... is that close enough for a break-in period??? The fluids in all 3 holes has been in there since 2002 and IMO, it just doesn't look good... I checked the oil and there appeared to be a lot of dirt and crap in or around the filler neck and cap... and the tranny doesn't even register on the dipstick!!!

I guess my question is, is it too early to change the fluids??? Was going to put synthetic 20/50 in the engine and primary and I have a qt. of Redline Shockproof I was going to put in the tranny.

Any opinions are welcome!!!
Oil is cheap insurance IMHO. As for if you should change it....Depends on where the bike has been stored and if only short trips were run. Problem is that condensation can build up in some situations with temperature change. This condensation combines with the by product of combustion to form an acid. This sits in the crankcase and pits the cases and anything else it touches. To cover thy arse....I would change it.
JMO Oh and BTW I would go with fossil for another 2500

Last edited by DaFish : 02-19-2008 at 08:44. Reason: add
Old 02-19-2008
Kong-of-WV

Deleted by author because some found it offensive.

Wishing you boys good luck.
Old 02-19-2008
MAGIC

Actually the conversation is taking place because some of us are mechanically challenged and have to ask questions of those who know more than we do. I don't see any reason to lay on this gentlemen for asking. Most of us know the drill on oil changes but some people never change oil. Unbelievable but true.
Let's lighten up on our brothers and sisters so they won't be hesitant to ask that one question on their mind but are afraid of being ridiculed.
Magic
Old 02-19-2008
DaFish Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

My Mood:
DaFish will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: 2002 Deuce Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmiki View Post
Actually the conversation is taking place because some of us are mechanically challenged and have to ask questions of those who know more than we do. I don't see any reason to lay on this gentlemen for asking. Most of us know the drill on oil changes but some people never change oil. Unbelievable but true.
Let's lighten up on our brothers and sisters so they won't be hesitant to ask that one question on their mind but are afraid of being ridiculed.
Magic
Well said Mike. I don't believe in chastising until the last resort. Some new people just don't know.....That's why they ask right? No stupid questions!!!