Welcome to the Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts > CycleChat's Motorcycle Hangout > Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Touring Models
Register FAQTop Posters Site Rules Members Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Touring Models Got one of those Lazy boys on wheels? Road King Custom, Road Glide, Street Glide, Ultra Classic, Electra Glide or Road King Classic motorcycles? Here's your forum!

------------ ------------
Old 02-07-2010
lowcoone

Winter storage moisture

I store my King in the shed as well as outside in a bike portable cover.The moisture is all over the bike when its cold.How can I keep it off.The bike is staying wet.I wish I could keep it in the house,like the old school bikers used to.Don't think the ol'lady would like that.

Old 02-07-2010
middermax

Re: Winter storage moisture

I used to live right on the coast & went through this. You need a little ventilation and a heat source to keep things dry. Without it you'll end up with a rust bucket. Not much way around that. You'll get corrosion in all kinds of places you can't even see until something doesn't work & you take it apart. Sorry for the not good news but it's true.
Old 02-07-2010
twincruzen Offline
Has Developed Calluses In New Places
Seasoned Member

twincruzen is on a distinguished road

Try leaving some light bulbs on. There are also chemical de humidifiers. I uase them in my trailer to help with the moisture off the tools. They do work.
Old 02-07-2010
motodrummer

I try not to think about it...LOL.. seriously i have the same problem. I am close to talking the wife into a new garage though that I intend to keep heated to about 40 degrees in the winter.. Hopefully thats warm enough to keep the motor from forming condensation.

What is the name of the chemical dehumidifiers? Would it be enough to do a whole shed? How long does it last?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2010
ozzyrral Offline
Old School Code Monkey
Supreme Member

My Mood:
ozzyrral has a spectacular aura aboutozzyrral has a spectacular aura aboutozzyrral has a spectacular aura about

I have the same issue. It's at the worst when you have a warmer humid day after a cold spell. I hate it. The shed I keep mine in has no electricity available. Got to do some rearranging in my garage so I can fit the bike in there along with my truck and the wife's car.

You can't expect everyone to know your boundaries and abide by them.

Old 02-07-2010
Deuce Jigolo Offline
Ridin' and Gliddin'

My Mood:
Deuce Jigolo is on a distinguished road

Try running a fan on low pointed at the bike. I use them in my boats to dry them out and it eliminates the sweat. Amazing what a little air stirring will do.

My Gallery
Old 02-07-2010
lowcoone

Thanks,Im still looking.The laundry room is looking real good now.Its a pisser that you spend all this money and its rusting in front of your very eyes.
Old 02-07-2010
pltnsgt06 Offline
Meal Card Says No Dessert
Supreme Member

My Mood:
pltnsgt06 is on a distinguished road

Know exactly what you are talking about, the fix is "DampRid" or something similar. Can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot for just a few bucks.

Put a bucket in one of the corners and you will be good. Make sure that there is a gap in the bottom of the cover to keep the air circulating.

Also, if you are going to buy a cover like the one below, make sure it is PVC coated to prevent mold on the inside of the cover as well.
Old 02-07-2010
lowcoone

Yes I already have a similar cover.The cover is great,just all this moisture is killing me.Thanks,Im heading to lowes.
Old 02-07-2010
Smarty52 Offline
Banned Members
Supreme Member

Smarty52 is on a distinguished road

Try one those small ceramic heaters on low. Should be just what you need to eliminate the condensation.