Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Cycle Chat - Motorcycle Chat for Harley Davidson & V-Twin Motorcycle Enthusiasts (http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/index.php)
-   Safety Spot (http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ghost-flame helmet?? (http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484)

Boom 03-20-2004 02:25

Ghost-flame helmet??

Someone in this forum, can't remember who, was looking for a helmet that was close to the flat black H-D half helmet with rear spoiler (97353-01V, $150) but much cheaper. I believe this was the one that came close to it from www.leatherny.com.......
http://www.auctionworks.com/store/it...61&id=12414701.

I did buy this helmet. It is DOT, looks good but is basically a $35 helmet. The strap design just doesn't fit right. It's too close to the throat so tightening the strap could be very uncomfortable. It is lighter that the H-D spoiler model but quality is not equal. I guess you get what you pay for. Too bad you can't go straight to the manufacture to get that H-D spoiler helmet for less. :whatever:

gixster92 03-20-2004 08:02

Thanks boom for the critique, That person was me, and I procrastinated on getting that helmet and now with your review I may forgo altogether. Thanks man. I have my eyes set on a few others... need to get one soon though, the season is getting closer and don't want to wear the full face the entire summer :)

Street Stalker 03-24-2004 04:42

I just bought one because it was cheap, legal and looks cool. They are really cracking down in CA on helmets so I figured I might as well try one. I will let you know my opinion of it later.

Boom 03-24-2004 05:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street Stalker
I just bought one because it was cheap, legal and looks cool. They are really cracking down in CA on helmets so I figured I might as well try one. I will let you know my opinion of it later.

Yea, by all means, Stalker, let us know. I found the strap came down from the helmet at a bad angle. To get the helmet to set correct on my head, the strap was too much around my throat instead of under chin. Maybe I got a bad product that was made on a Friday! :crazy:

NCFatBoy 03-24-2004 06:41

Hmmmm... you really think it's the helmet...??? :elk:

gixster92 03-24-2004 09:08

I will be very interested in your review too stalker, as I am still on the prowl for a new lid. and the season is coming in to fast and I prefer notto have my full face for the summer months.

Wind 03-24-2004 10:10

"Hmmmm... you really think it's the helmet...???"
Yea Boom. I didn't want to say anything but, is there a possibility it could be your head? It seems those helmets fit thousands of other heads just fine.

:lol: Just joking. Honestly, I've never even seen Boom's head.

Boom 03-25-2004 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind
"Hmmmm... you really think it's the helmet...???"
Yea Boom. I didn't want to say anything but, is there a possibility it could be your head? It seems those helmets fit thousands of other heads just fine.

:lol: Just joking. Honestly, I've never even seen Boom's head.

Good point! (not meaning my head :nut: ) Maybe it's because my Adams apple sticks out about three inches??? :tard:

molan 03-25-2004 07:50

These helmets aren't even close to being legal over here in the UK!

I have an Arai open face that comes with a flip up removeable visor. Really expensive but super comfortable & good protection.

Not a CA cruiser lid though :nut:

gixster92 03-25-2004 08:24

you have tighter regs for helmets there? Can you even wear a half helmet? If you can, what is the german style helmets percieved as?

molan 03-25-2004 05:04

Half helmets are definitely not legal - you can buy them but only as "novelty" items!

I have friends who wear them & they've never been pulled over but I don't want to be watching out for police every time I ride.

You can buy German helmets too - the chromed ones are most popular, again, totally illegal.

The coolest legal helmets over here are probably Davida, they make some great looking traditional styled lids & some have cool designs too.

gixster92 03-29-2004 08:19

REVISITING this.

Ok for those of you that stated you were getting this flame helmet, did you receive it? Do you like it?

I found this one over the weekend and wondered if anyone has tried this one out, or has a buddy that has one. Please inform me. Thanks.

Link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...X&appId=334957

Boom 03-29-2004 08:50

Geez, I could definitley go broke buying helmets. :shifty:
I like this style more than the flames. Big question, how does it fit? Like to get a report on this one if someone buys it. It's more expensive than the flame so maybe it's a better fit/quality(??). I've never been disapointed with anything I've gotten from JC Whitney.

Ammoman 03-29-2004 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixster92
REVISITING this.

Ok for those of you that stated you were getting this flame helmet, did you receive it? Do you like it?

I found this one over the weekend and wondered if anyone has tried this one out, or has a buddy that has one. Please inform me. Thanks.

GIX, It looks like the one you were looking for, or at least pretty close, No DOT though eh?

Boom 03-29-2004 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammoman
GIX, look like the one you were lookin for, or at least pretty close, No DOT though eh?

I found this in the small print:

"Black nylon chin strap includes metal "D" rings. Black base trim. Meets or exceeds DOT specifications. Replacement visor sold separately.
IMPORTANT NOTE: See HELMET SIZING CHART at left for helmet sizing information."

gixster92 03-29-2004 08:53

Yes it does look like the HD helmet I was looking for... Persistance is all I can say. Has anyone heard of this helmet manufacturer?

groundpounder03 03-31-2004 02:18

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...101&Division=1

I think this is the helmet you are looking for. Just like the harley helmet with the spoiler in the back

Wind 03-31-2004 02:49

Groundpounder,
He's been looking for that helmet for weeks. You join and know right where its at.
I wonder if the name is only a sticker or permanently on there.
Welcome to CycleChat Groundpounder. You've been a big help already.
:wave:

Ammoman 03-31-2004 03:01

Groundpounder, You da man.... We all tried for weeks, never came up with anything. There is just to much stuff on the internet to see it all.

BTW, Welcome to CC, have fun...

Ammoman 03-31-2004 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom
I found this in the small print:

"Black nylon chin strap includes metal "D" rings. Black base trim. Meets or exceeds DOT specifications. Replacement visor sold separately.
IMPORTANT NOTE: See HELMET SIZING CHART at left for helmet sizing information."

Man, I gotta slow down on the scanning speed... Sheesh. Thanks BOOM!

gixster92 03-31-2004 05:10

Groundpounder... I owe you one... thanks.

groundpounder03 03-31-2004 05:54

Quote:

Groundpounder... I owe you one... thanks.

Hey man, not a problem. HD had 2 different spoiler helmets. One was made by Simmons and was about $180. The other was made by KBC (i think) and cost about $150. I actually called both companies and asked if they made the same helmet without the HD bar and shield, fiquring it would cost much less. Both companies said that the only spoiler helmets they made were for HD.

Right after I bought a Vega half hemet for about $35 (same exact helmet not even with HD bar and shield was $85 at the HD dealer) I found the Zamp spoiler helmet at www.motorcyclesuperstore.com . Since I had just bought a helmet I never bought the Zamp.

But now that i'm getting ready to ride again I think i'm gonna go ahead and get it. Looks cool and cant beat the price.

groundpounder03 03-31-2004 06:04

http://www.teamsimpson.com/catalogMo...y_features.asp

Maybe that was simpson not simmons. Looks like they have a new helmet called the shorty. Looks like has a spoiler. My budy actually has the simpson HD spoiler helmet. It's heavy as hell for what its worth.

simpson probably was able to release this helmet since HD no longer sells it.

gixster92 03-31-2004 08:44

you amaze me... I been all over the web, on different forums asking... and here you come with two helmets by the time you hit 3 posts.... Karma coming your way.

Boom 04-01-2004 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundpounder03
But now that i'm getting ready to ride again I think i'm gonna go ahead and get it. Looks cool and cant beat the price.

Pounder.......

By all means, let us know how it fits and feels when you get it. Thanks for info!

Boom

gixster92 04-01-2004 11:22

D@MN YOU POUNDER :).... you come along and give me what I want... and I just called them to hear that if you don't have an order in, The manufacture is back ordered for 6 MONTHS.

groundpounder03 04-01-2004 01:12

Sheeit! thats a long time. Who did you call? The manufacturer or an online retailer? Which one were you gonna buy. The zamp or simpson?

Boom 04-01-2004 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundpounder03
Sheeit! thats a long time. Who did you call? The manufacturer or an online retailer? Which one were you gonna buy. The zamp or simpson?

I went to the motorcycle-superstore website and selected the Zamp Shorty. Clicked on flat black--medium and got this message.........
"Your selection is currently on backorder. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. The approximate release date is 4/15/2004 "

Boom

groundpounder03 04-01-2004 05:01

www.helmetcity.com............... :death: :death: :death: :death:

Don't get excited, they don't have them in stock either. I called and was told that they should have them next week. Price is the same as motorcyclesuperstore (I think)

fbomer 04-01-2004 05:30

A week or so!

Hey Gix!

Order up man... I called, ordered up 2 helmets asked about the lead time and they put me on hold to call the MFG. I was told they would be shipped from the MFG in a week or so, which puts availability to us at about 4/15.

gixster92 04-01-2004 09:06

Pounder it was the Zamp and I talked to the online retailer not the actual manufacturer.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/zamps1

I went to your other link and they don't have them listing out the colors to purchase them. At least you have given me a name to start looking.

Fbomer... which one did you purchase from?

groundpounder03 04-01-2004 09:11

I'm gonna go ahead and order one from motorcyclesuperstore. I think i'm gonna order the flat black. :death:

fbomer 04-01-2004 09:18

Super Store!

Quote:

Pounder it was the Zamp and I talked to the online retailer not the actual manufacturer.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/zamps1

I went to your other link and they don't have them listing out the colors to purchase them. At least you have given me a name to start looking.

Fbomer... which one did you purchase from?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...101&Division=1

Gix... I ordered from the MC super store.... Then after I read your post I was curious about the back-order.... they confimed it would likely be available to us by the 15th of April...

Street Stalker 04-05-2004 02:30

Just got my flame helmet....

I think that the fit and finish is right where I would expect it to be for the price range. Not as nice as Harley's but also not as expensive.

The flames are made by not painting the flat black paint coating over the patern area. In additon, as most of the flat helmets suffer from, I would expect a scuff to go right through the flat coating to the shinny part underneath so don't throw it around if you want it to stay looking pretty.

The feel of the helmet while wearing it is fine as well. The interior padding was nice for the price and looks nice in the courdoruy style material they use. It does have a peculier center piece of material that moves around a bit, but not to much of an issue.

I don't overly care for using screws to hold on the visor instead of snaps, but again, the price range dictates a few comprimises.

All in all, I think that if your looking for a legal helmet with a bit of style, that isn't going to give you an extream case of "mushroom head", (and won't dent your wallet to much) then this isn't such a bad choice.

Just my quick observations....

Wind 04-06-2004 06:09

I was in my stealers this evening for a HOG meeting. They have the helmet in there with the spoiler and the small classic HD emblem on the side. Isn't this how this thread got started? Anyway, good looking helmet. $149 OUCH!
But I did like it. I think someome found out this style is made only for Harley, right? I'll look at other helmets in the next week or two, some that are more reasonably priced, but if I don't find one I really like I might go back and allow myself to get ripped off.

gixster92 04-06-2004 09:22

Wind... go thru this thread. Groundpounder found it. you can get it at one of two places other then HD.

SS... thanks for the product update. It is good to know your thoughts on it.

NCFatBoy 04-07-2004 12:51

Look for the one with a gray graphics finish on it if you want ouch... $245

Wind 04-07-2004 06:11

I hate buying clothes & things over the internet because I am so worried about size. Did buy a jacket once and it was OK. Will never buy shoes, and am hesitant about this helmet. Its such a pain if you have to return things.
Tell me what you think. If I go to the stealer and get the right size fit, do you think its safe to order it from the same manufacturer on the net. If that truly is the same manufacturer. I would never try on one and order another. I have a large head. My size is XXL or maybe even XXX depending on the helmet.

gixster92 04-07-2004 09:23

D@mn Wind you have a Nugget on you... I am at the other extreme.. my bean is Small. My wife always laughs at me. she says I look like that beatlejuice character, small head big body... oh well. I will say. when I went to IMS <or any rally that has vendors> try on all the helmets. Ihave found that in half helmets I am one size for all of them, but the full face I am one size larger... wierd but true. In fact when I was at the shoei booth the guy there told me that they all fit differently for a reason and proved his point by having me try on the half, 3/4, full, and off road helmets... I was shocked. But if you are borderline on a style of helmet (assume half) and one manufacture you are xxL and another you are xxx I would suggest you purchase locally or from a reputable internet store front that returns are allowed.

Wind 04-07-2004 09:39

......and ya know, I'm the type of guy who likes hats. Not the one size fits all plastic hook in the back, which everyone wears in the front type of hat, but nice hats. I have several hats and would have more except most don't fit me.